Alloway Bank, Bathurst sells after nearly three years on the market

Alloway Bank, Bathurst sells after nearly three years on the market
Alloway Bank, Bathurst sells after nearly three years on the market

Alloway Bank, the historic NSW Bathurst district estate of the colonial ­customs collector, Captain John Piper, has been sold.

After spending just short of three years on the market, the property fetched $2.15 million, within its steadfast guide of $1,995,000 to $2.4 million.

It was sold by Century 21 Bathurst agent Tom ­Clyburn, who took on the listing earlier this year.

The buyers are a family from Bondi Junction whose forebears, George (pictured) and William Suttor, were the second owners of the Eglinton residence.

The house, rebuilt in the 1870s with Flemish bond brickwork, sits on 11 hectares.

Its European settlement dates back to an 1827 land grant from Governor Thomas Brisbane to Piper who relocated to the farm after losing the Point Piper harbourfront, Henrietta Villa.

After the 1838 drought, the wool slump and 1840s depression, Piper was also forced to sell Alloway Bank to the pastoral Suttor family in 1845. It last sold in 1995 for $580,000.

This article was first published in the Sunday Telegraph. 

Jonathan Chancellor

Jonathan Chancellor

Jonathan Chancellor is one of our authors. Jonathan has been writing about property since the early 1980s and is editor-at-large of Property Observer.

Tags: 
Rural Sale Bathurst

Comments

Be the first one to comment on this article
What would you like to say about this project?