Yuhu Group founder suggests Australian politicians direct his political donations to charity

Yuhu Group founder suggests Australian politicians direct his political donations to charity
Yuhu Group founder suggests Australian politicians direct his political donations to charity

The Chinese property tycoon Huang Xiangmo, whose permanent residency in Australia has been cancelled by officials, has proposed that Australian politicians return his donations to instead be given to charity.

“It is profoundly disappointing to be treated in such a grotesquely unfair manner,” he said, calling the accusations against him “baseless allegations and sheer lies”.

Huang, the 49-year-old Guangdong native, said he no longer held any position or shares at Yuhu Group, the company he founded in Australia after migrating in 2011.

Yuhu's high profile development sites are at Circular Quay and the Gold Coast.

With his wife and son still living in his Mosman mansion, Huang said he “will visit Australia at the appropriate time with the suitable identification,” the South China Morning Post reported.

“The decision of visa cancellation was made based on unfounded speculations that are prejudiced and groundless. This is not the Australia that I believe in – the Australia of freedom, democracy, rule of law and fairness – but I keep my faith in law and justice.”

The Huang case has highlighted growing suspicion in Australia of Communist Party influence on its domestic politics. Australia last year passed sweeping national security reforms via the Espionage and Foreign Interference Act, which broadens the range of activities that would be treated as spying.

He donated $2.7 million to the Labor and Liberal parties, telling political parties on Friday to return his money if they believe it was given inappropriately..

The Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) ordered the cancellation of Huang’s residency because it found he was “amenable to conducting acts of foreign interference” and in the past had shown a “willingness” to do so, the Australian Financial Review reported on Thursday.

He said on Friday that scrutiny of his prolific political donations in Australia and positions at pro-Beijing organisations was “prejudiced and groundless”.

Huang said he was now living a “peaceful and happy life” in Hong Kong, where he is believed to have permanent residency.

He was focusing on his investments in the city and others in Thailand, the United States and Britain.

Chinese language newspapers are today reporting that billionaire political donor has appealed the Australian government’s decision to cancel his permanent residency visa

The newspaper, The Australian Chinese Daily, reported that Mr Huang appealed the decision last month in the Australian Administrative Appeals Tribunal via a lawyer in Hong Kong.

The report was reprinted in the digital Chinese language news outlet, Sydney Today, which has previously carried columns written by Mr Huang.

Huang said on Friday that his donations had been lawful and made at the request of the recipient parties.

The property developer moved to Australia in 2011 before making his first political donation,  $150,000 to the NSW branch of the ALP during Sam Dastyari's time as party secretary in 2012.

He had stopped all political donations as of July 1, 2016.

The Chinese billionaire is the chairman of the Oceanic Alliance of Promotion of the Peaceful Reunification of China (OAPPRC) and former chairman of the Australian Council for the Promotion of the Peaceful Reunification of China (ACPPRC), both of which advocate the peaceful unification of mainland China and the self-ruled island of Taiwan.

In his Friday statement, he stated that both groups followed the Australian government’s political position regarding the one-China policy that recognises Beijing’s position on Taiwan.

“If I am penalised for promoting the peaceful reunification of China, such penalty is against Australia’s own diplomatic position and international commitment as well as Australia’s fundamental principles of cultural diversity and freedom of speech,” he said.

The ABC reported the decision to ban Mr Huang from Australia was delivered months ago.

Some analysts predicted that Beijing could react angrily if any of its citizens were targeted under legislation designed to crack down on foreign interference. 

But the Foreign Minister Marise Payne has played down the possibility. 

"[China] has not raised it with me and I don't expect to be the subject of a bilateral discussion. These are matters that occur from time to time," she said. 

 

Tags: 
Yuhu Group Billionaire

Comments

Be the first one to comment on this article
What would you like to say about this project?