613 suburbs reach million dollar median value: CoreLoigic

613 suburbs reach million dollar median value: CoreLoigic
613 suburbs reach million dollar median value: CoreLoigic

Some 613 suburbs in Australia have a median value of at least $1 million according to the latest CoreLogic Property Pulse, up 29 percent over the year.

Houses, with 570 suburbs listed (93 percent), dominated the million dollar median group while the remaining 43 (7 percent) were for units said CoreLogic research analyst Cameron Kusher who added the number of suburbs has increased by 125 percent over the past 3 years.

Click to enlarge

 613 suburbs reach million dollar median value: CoreLoigic

“The data highlights the bracket creep that has occurred over the housing growth cycle, and how housing affordability in NSW (Sydney) and to a lesser degree Vic (Melbourne) has deteriorated. An increasing number of suburbs in these two states now have a median value of at least $1 million,” he said. 

"The top 25 suburbs achieving the highest median values are those located in prime locations such as Sydney’s waterfront and the inner-city suburbs. Toorak with a number 9 ranking and Peppermint Grove ranked number 17, are the only two suburbs shown that are not located in Sydney. For units, Sydney’s Dawes Point is the only suburb to make into the list of top 25.

Click to enlarge

 613 suburbs reach million dollar median value: CoreLoigic

"Outside of NSW, Vic and WA, the most expensive Qld suburb is Tenerife with a median house value of $1,644,643, SA most expensive suburb is Springfield with a median house value of $1,737,499, NT most expensive suburb is Larrakeyah with a median house value of $1,196,987 and ACT most expensive suburb is Forrest with a median value of $2,067,813 for houses. 

“While overall housing demand may be slowing a little, we expect that with historic low interest rates, demand for premium housing is set to remain buoyant over the coming year. Subsequently we would expect in 12 months’ time even more suburbs to have a median value of at least $1 million.

"Tasmania was the only state in Australia where no suburbs reached a median value of at least $1 million. In New South Wales, the proportion of suburbs with a median value of at least $1 million has increased over time from 59.7 percent of national suburbs in 2008 to 68.2 percent in both 2015 and 2016. Victoria also increased its proportion of million dollar suburbs from 13.6% in 2008 to 16.6% in 2016. Queensland and Western Australia experienced a large decline in the proportions of suburbs with a median value of at least $1 million between 2008 and 2016."

Click to enlarge

 613 suburbs reach million dollar median value: CoreLoigic

 

Tags: 
Residential Property Dwelling Values

Comments

Be the first one to comment on this article
What would you like to say about this project?