Clovelly, Hawthorn, the Harry Norris designed trophy home offering

Clovelly, Hawthorn, the Harry Norris designed trophy home offering
Clovelly, Hawthorn, the Harry Norris designed trophy home offering

For the first time in almost three decades, Clovelly, at 6 Calvin Street, Hawthorn has been listed for sale.

It is a late 1920s riverside home in the Creswick Estate precinct.

Designed by Melbourne architect Harry Norris, the five bedroom residence is on a 842sqm block surrounded by established gardens

Norris was well known for his art deco mix of Australian and American styles; he was one of Melbourne’s best commercial architects between 1920 and 1930.

In 1929, he completed the design of the new Coles store in Bourke Street for George Cole.

The five bedroom, two bathroom historic home features character rooms alongside open contemporary spaces.

Its grand living and dining rooms feature ornate lead lighting, blackwood panelling and Jacobean cabinetry while upstairs city views are the prime feature. 

Last sold at $670,000 in 1988, Rebecca Edwards and Scott Patterson of Kay & Burton are seeking $3.6 milllion.

The bungalow at 6 Calvin Street is significant for its associations with Harry Norris (1888-1967), who was born in Hawthorn and became a leading architect nationwide by the 1920s.

It was in 1925 that he purchased land in the Creswick Estate and built a home for himself, where he resided until 1938. 

Council heritage records note Harry Norris’ house at 6 Calvin Street takes the classic bungalow form, with a transverse gable roof punctuated by a minor front gable, and refines it.

Its gable roof is high and steep enough to house an attic storey.

The dado is of red brick with a clinker soldier course at the top and roughcast render above.

The verandah is continuous with the roof and rest on clinker brick piers.

It extends outward into a pergola resting on tubular columns, reminiscent of those used by members of Walter Burley Griffin’s school (see, for example, Eric Nicholl’s ‘Herborn House’ at 88 Pleasant Road, Hawthorn East, and the Essendon Incinerator both of 1929-31).

The front fence echoes the house’s walls, with the addition of a saltire timber balustrade

 

Tags: 
Hawthorn

Comments

Be the first one to comment on this article
What would you like to say about this project?