Victorian auction gatherings have again been limited amid spike in COVID-19 cases

Victorian auction gatherings have again been limited amid spike in COVID-19 cases
Victorian auction gatherings have again been limited amid spike in COVID-19 cases

Victorian auction gatherings have again been limited as spike in COVID-19 cases has prompted warnings.

Amid the rising cases, the State Government has rolled back plans to allow up to 50 at auctions from today, instead keeping the cap at 20.

Victorians are also being urged to stay away from six local government areas in a dramatic escalation of efforts to prevent a second wave of the coronavirus pandemic.

The national medical expert panel says it “strongly discourages travel to and from” the areas of Hume, Casey, Brimbank, Moreland, Cardinia and Darebin.

There are collectively responsible for 42 active cases.

The tough limits have been slapped on household visits and outdoor gatherings after 25 cases were confirmed on Saturday and another 19 cases were confirmed yesterday.

Victoria recorded 116 of the nation’s 141 new cases in the past week.

Only 20 people will be able to attend public auctions until July 12.

The earlier announcement was that public auctions in Melbourne would have been able to have up to 50 people attend from midnight on Sunday, June 21.

Premier Daniel Andrews said the number of new COVID-19 cases throughout last week halted plans to ease restrictions.

“As we’ve seen across the world, this virus has the ability to turn a few cases into hundreds in a matter of days,” Mr Andrews said on Saturday.

“That’s why we also need to delay an increase to gathering limits in businesses and community facilities.”

 

 

Tags: 
Melbourne Auctions COVID-19

Comments

Be the first one to comment on this article
What would you like to say about this project?