263 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

3000's picture

Personally, I love St Kilda. I think that they should be very careful about what they build and where. It's a lovely place and I would hate to it see it turned into soulless, Docklands-style area.
That being said, areas of St Kilda are run down and ripe for development.

Michael Berquez's picture

It will never be soulless....unlike Docklands, St Kilda has built it's personality over a 100 year period. If anything, St Kilda runs the risk of becoming really boring if it continues to turn it's back on the future.

Primal Beauty's picture

St Kilda is wonderful and can only improve with apartments development along Nepean Hwy and parts of Fitzroy Street...plus the triangle site will achieve wonders for the suburb when done...and about Docklands; I love Docklands as a development and can see it maturing into amazing area once it is completed...the only missing link is the Harbour Promenade development and that should change the character of the are and the central pier development also...

Peter Maltezos's picture

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/port-melbournes-london-hotel-doomed-de...

Port Melbourne's London Hotel doomed despite developer knock-back

SEPTEMBER 8 2016 Aisha Dow

ST KILDA + PORT MELBOURNE | 3182 + 3207 | Projects

Photo: Vince Caligiuri

For 155 years, the London Hotel has occupied a prime corner location on Port Melbourne's waterfront – but its days welcoming the city's boat arrivals appear numbered.

This week the Victoria's planning tribunal sided with Port Phillip Council, refusing a permit application from TAB Developments to replace the landmark pub with an eight-storey apartment block.

But its opposition to the project was far from overwhelming. The old Victorian-era pub may be a sentimental favourite in Port Melbourne but the tribunal has no problem with knocking it down. 

A permit for demolition has already been issued for the London Hotel – a process that required only the approval of a private building surveyor, as the site had no heritage controls.

In a decision that paves the way for a fresh planning application, the tribunal had no issue  with the height of the proposed apartment building (25.5 metres) or its architectural presentation.

Instead, its chief concerns were the overshadowing on the foreshore reserve and impact of neighbouring developments on Beach Street.

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

The London Hotel looked quite different back in 1967:

Photo: Lyle Fowler

Aussie Steve's picture

That building is too far gone to be worthy of any heritage protection, but any replacement needs to be of high quality, due to the prominent location.

3000's picture

If they insist on building they should keep what's there and build over it with resi entrance off the side. A glass podium would look awful

Peter Maltezos's picture

http://www.theage.com.au/business/property/goodbye-holden-victorian-gove...

Victorian government buys Port Melbourne factory for $130 million

SEPTEMBER 13 2016 - 6:10PM  Simon Johanson

Motoring giant Holden has sold its massive Fishermans Bend car manufacturing plant to the Victorian government in a $130 million deal which will see it transformed into an innovation and employment hub.

GM Holden put the 37-hectare site in Port Melbourne on the market last year after it announced the end of its 80-year history of building Australian motor vehicles.

Details about the deal for the brownfield site in Salmon Street have been tightly controlled but BusinessDay has learnt a sale was concluded last week.

The purchase gives the Andrews government control over nearly half the remaining land in the Fishermans Bend industrial area that has not already been rezoned for residential use.

The site will be developed as an aerospace, defence, marine and automotive design precinct, industry and employment minister Wade Noonan said.

"We have a clear vision for this site and the future of Fishermans Bend, which builds on  our strengths in defence, education and advanced manufacturing," Mr Noonan said.

Property insiders said the deal may be a precursor to further zoning changes, particularly as nearby areas are transformed into residential suburbs.

Any future rezoning will provide the state, rather than private land speculators, with a multi-million dollar windfall.

Peter Maltezos's picture

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/melbourne-arts/hel...

Hello yellow: St Kilda's Palais Theatre to be painted its original colour as part of $20 million restoration

NOVEMBER 25 2016 - 6:50PM Debbie Cuthbertson

The facade of St Kilda's Palais Theatre will be painted yellow, restoring the building to its original 1920s colour scheme, as part of a $20 million restoration of the art deco gem.

Creative Industries Minister Martin Foley and Heritage Victoria executive director Tim Smith announced the change at the Palais on Friday.

A sample of the "sand" colour, meant to replicate the original 1927 facade, is now visible on part of the roof towards the back of the Henry E. White-designed building. Mr Foley, the member for Port Melbourne, faced a challenge in the 2014 state election from musician Tex Perkins, who stood in the seat as an independent on a platform of saving the Palais.

The building has been covered in scaffolding since then and faced "imminent closure" before works began, after the Andrews government committed funding to its redevelopment. It continues to operate as a venue, this week hosting acts including permatanned Spanish crooner Julio Iglesias.

Mr Foley says he expects some people might object to the colour change, but is happy to see the building "restored to its former beauty".

The original "copperas" finish, created using an iron sulphate wash on masonry render, eventually turned grey and was painted the current colour in the 1950s or '60s.

The new paint job won't discolour, Mr Smith says, as newer techniques will be used.

I wouldn't say it's yellow as reported above, it will be more of a 'sand' colour.

theboynoodle's picture

Wait.. aren't they restoring Flinders Street Station to an original sandy colour too?

Someone needs to investigate whether Dan Andrews has shares in Sand-Coloured Heritage Paints Ltd.

Primal Beauty's picture

Well...obviously those colours were popular at the time and reflect the fact that most natural stone coming from surrounding area is of similar colour; I guess like sandstone and limestone ...so if you are proponent of sticking with the original design and colour in order to keep heritage value of those buildings then this is a good direction by me!

Mark Baljak's picture

Greyhound Hotel: Fears apartment developments are killing St Kilda's character

A St Kilda pub that hosts drag queen bingo nights is set to be demolished to make way for an eight-storey apartment block, sparking fears the suburb's vibrant character is being killed off by bland developments.

An application to replace the 160-year-old Greyhound Hotel with 43 apartments and five shops has been filed with Port Phillip Council.

A decision on the application will be made by February, but the hotel can be knocked down at anytime. It is not subject to any heritage protections.

A private building surveyor has already issued a building permit for the demolition of the pub, which is located opposite St Kilda Town Hall.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/greyhound-hotel-fears-apartment-develo...

I LOVE the Greyhound building and this would be a real shame. Can't happen surely??????

3000's picture

It'll happen. It seems that pubs and clubs are a thing of the past in Melbourne. No one seems to want to continue to run them and no one wants to replace them.

theboynoodle's picture

Pubs and clubs *are* becoming a thing of the past.

They might not want to admit it, but governments have been at war with them for ages.. booze and cigs (which is what pubs were built around) are heavily taxed and regulated, and people are constantly being told that they shouldn't enjoy such sinful things. The wealthier classes are listening and drinking and smoking much less (at least in public), the less wealthy classes are being priced out and are drinking at home.

Then add in the effect of the internet on how people meet and interact socially (e.g. online dating vs going to a club and hoping to get lucky etc) that is undermining the raison d'etre of pubs from another angle.

I couldn't care less about the club.....I love the building though.
Tinder, Grinr etc etc have played a big part in ruining the clubs......unfortunately a lot of people don't "need" to go to them anymore.

Mark Baljak's picture

Marc - very handy outcome

181 Fitzroy St

Made St Kilda

Peter Maltezos's picture

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/rooftop-pavilion-plan-for-st-kilda-sea...

Rooftop pavilion plan for St Kilda Sea Baths

JANUARY 31 2017 Aisha Dow

Photo: Michael Rayner

Not so long ago the St Kilda Sea Baths was inhabited by squatters.

The clientele is a little different now, and the newest visitors to the foreshore complex could soon enjoy "unencumbered" rooftop views to the city and bay.

The long-term leaseholders of the prominent St Kilda bar, cafe and gym precinct have applied to the City of Port Phillip council to build a $900,000 rooftop pavilion on top of the historic venue.

If approved, the overall height of the building would be raised by almost 3.4 metres, though its proponents say the new structure will be "modest", using clear glazing with white aluminium framing to minimise the impact on views.

St Kilda Sea Baths management spokesman Travis Atkins said the existing rooftop area was underused because it had no weather protection, bathroom, bar or kitchen.

"It is wonderful in terms of views but there is nothing up there," Mr Atkins said. "Not even a tap."

If council gives the green light to the plan, the rooftop could accommodate up to 300 people and operate between 8am and 1am, 7 days a week.

Mark Baljak's picture

Another design for the London Hotel

Bold pitch for St Kilda triangle: Put a deck on the parking lot, put up a paradise

A wander down St Kilda's desolate Fitzroy Street reveals a once-booming suburb that's in decline. But what will fix it?

One engineer with an intimate knowledge of the suburb, and the state government, reckons he has the answer: fixing the embarrassing black hole by the bay that is the St Kilda triangle site.

Rather than the sprawling "Chadstone-on-sea" development Port Phillip Council wanted in 2008 – later overturned and its developers paid out $5 million – John Parkinson wants something simpler: an enormous park.

A "green wedge by the bay" is how Mr Parkinson – a consultant who's worked on several major Victorian infrastructure projects – puts it.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/bold-pitch-for-st-kilda-triangle-put-a...

Garmatt's picture

St. Kilda needs bold decisions. It's dying down there and is a prime example of what happens when NIMBYs get their way and have too much control. Let them enjoy their suburb the way it is and watch it decay around them......
BTW - is there any more news on whether The Block has purchased Gatwick House. That is the first thing that needs to change down there before St Kilda has any hope of making a comeback. Particularly Fitzroy Street

Aussie Steve's picture

I am still of the mind that the City of Yarra and most of the City of Port Phillip (bar a small section east of Hotham St - goes to City of Glen Eira) should all be absorbed into the City of Melbourne, so that major capital works in the inner city, can be better managed. The project above wont happen without State and Private investment as well as Local Government cooperation. Just take a walk along Beaconsfield Pde from Port Melbourne to the St Kilda Marina and see how bad (and good) some sections of the public realm are. Poor maintenance is a key issue here and the City of Melbourne is better at developing good design, strong and consistent pallets, and vigorous maintenance.

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

Gross comment. Yes in the middle of a homeless crisis lets root for more crisis accommodation to be bought out by bland yuppies

Garmatt's picture

Oh god. Here we go again......

Primal Beauty's picture

So London Hotel in Port Melbourne is gone, as in demolished...interesting to see what will replace it!

Pages