Mark Baljak's picture

The London Hotel redevelopment - very impressive design

ST KILDA + PORT MELBOURNE | 3182 + 3207 | Projects

MelbourneGuy's picture

Excellent position. I'm sure it'll attract a few Tasmanians coming over.

Peter Maltezos's picture

^^ Interesting, has a retro seventies feel to it, I like it! smiley

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

Michael Berquez's picture

Beautiful design...BUT they can't seriously demolish the existing art-deco building...surely!

Mark Baljak's picture

Aspire St Kilda - bit vanilla

Mark Baljak's picture

The London proposal going to VCAT

The plan for 32 apartments went to Port Phillip Council in December, but the council failed to make a decision on the proposal within 60 days. It has now been taken to the state planning tribunal by planners Urbis.
Planning Minister Richard Wynne's spokeswoman said that, as Port Phillip Council had not asked him to put a heritage protection order stopping the hotel's demolition, "at this stage there is no real role for us".
The building, which was built in 1861, has been repeatedly altered and its art deco facade was added in 1941, the historical society believes. But the building does not have any heritage protection.
More than 100 objections have been lodged with Port Phillip Council.
Mayor Bernadene Voss acknowledged that the site and building had been a corner hotel for more than 100 years. But she said that, despite its age, the building had been altered repeatedly.
It did not, Cr Voss said, "meet the threshold of local significance when compared to more intact examples".

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/historic-port-melbourne-waterfront-pub...

Aussie Steve's picture

The London Hotel may be of cultural significance but there is really no other level of significance for the building. As the Mayor has said, it has undergone numerous changes in its lifetime and thus not worthy of protection in my professional opinion. That does not mean that what is proposed is a good outcome for the site, as I haven't seen the detail to make that value judgement. Bu it is indeed a great corner site worthy of redevelopment.

Mark Baljak's picture

Ahhhhh.....

Now they want to save it: London Hotel may still fall down despite council backflip

A local council that issued a demolition permit for a historic Port Melbourne pub has now asked the planning minister to step in - urgently - to save it from the wrecking ball.
Port Phillip mayor Bernadene Voss has asked Planning Minister Richard Wynne to place an order preventing Port Melbourne's London Hotel being knocked down.
Cr Voss's request comes despite last week saying planning officers had told her the hotel was not worth saving. "Based on this assessment, council will not request the Minister for Planning apply an interim heritage overlay."
Advertisement

That is now what the council has done - demand Mr Wynne step in to save the pub, which was built in 1861 but modified many times since.
But Mr Wynne declined to step in, saying interim heritage protection was only available to state-significant buildings - and that the council itself had said The London was not worthy of local protection.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/now-they-want-to-save-it-london-hotel-...

Aussie Steve's picture

Oh Dear Lord! [Roll Eyes]

3000's picture

I like this building, any renders of what they are replacing it with?

Mark Baljak's picture

Latest to head to construction

Meridian

Nat G's picture

Any idea on when 2 Inkerman street, St Kilda will be starting? I heard that it isn't going ahead now.

melbourne's picture

Mint Apartments, Port Melbourne:

Peter Maltezos's picture

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/acland-street-closure-to-bring-the-wor...

Acland Street closure to bring the worst of both worlds, traders fear

JULY 24 2016 Adam Carey

An artist's impression of the Acland Street transformation. Source: City of Port Phillip

In two weeks, just before 1am on August 8, the last car will drive along the southern end of Acland Street, then the traffic barriers will go up and Yarra Trams will begin to convert St Kilda's famous shopping strip into a plaza.

The plan to shut part of Acland Street to car traffic and remove its 51 on-street parking spaces has been known for more than three years, but has made unsteady progress in the face of strong local resistance, particularly among traders.

The traders association is resigned to the plan, but still fears what it will do to business.

Gideon Markham, veteran proprietor of Monarch Cakes, predicts the new streetscape will bring the worst of both worlds: bigger traffic jams as cars filter down tiny side streets and lost trade as people who can no longer park in front of the shops drive on.

"They tried to do it 15 years ago, they tried to make it into a mall and the attempt was a terrible failure. It was like a desert here," Mr Markham said.

The road closure is a Port Phillip City Council project but it is being driven by Public Transport Victoria's plan to build a disability-accessible tram platform stop in Acland Street and a twin-track terminus for route 96.

Route 96, between St Kilda and East Brunswick, is Melbourne's busiest with 345,000 passenger trips a week, and Acland Street is its biggest bottleneck, causing delays of three to six minutes in the morning peak as trams get in the way of each other, PTV says.

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

I can only see the positives in this. Who in their right mind would drive down Acland Street hoping to get a car park anyway. This could be brilliant during summer, with markets stalls, buskers....etc

Primal Beauty's picture

Agree...excellent development and solution...those traders want people to come and spend time on Acland Street but honestly with the trams and the cars, plus parking spots it is a nightmare and so narrow for such a busy street...it can only make it better with this development!
I am looking forward to seeing a finished product in October!

Aussie Steve's picture

Chicken Little (local traders and some residents) just keeps spruking but the general public will see the great benefit of this redeveloped project in the height of summer and will want the rest of the street redeveloped and wonder why it wasn't done years ago.

lol

Nat G's picture

Hoping that it leads to the re-development of the Acland centre, it is sub-standard in terms of shopping centers.

Mark Baljak's picture

What would you want to see there? Seems fairly small in terms of getting some better quality retailers in there

Nicholas Harrison's picture

8-12 Punt Road has been approved by VCAT with no high reduction ( 26 levels, 95.59m).

The City of Port Phillip didn't even try to defend their proposed amendment that would put a 35m height limit on the site and asked for the tower to be limited to 18 levels.

Primal Beauty's picture

Excellent and a great development!

Mark Baljak's picture

Got a link to the VCAT decision?

Qantas743's picture

Yep, great development and that site has looked revolting for so long so bring it on.

Pages