263 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Qantas743's picture

STK is also completely dominating the area - can see it from my house! And still 9 levels to go!!

johnproctor's picture

yeah. I was somewhere recently (maybe Docklands) and saw the STK building sticking out at the bottom end of St Kilda Road. took me a minute to realise what it was.

Qantas743's picture

I'm still amazed how it got approved. It's actually massive (and not in a bad way).

3000's picture

What a fantastic building.

Michael Berquez's picture

I was crossing the Yarra on Punt Road yesterday and came up the hill and saw Icon in the distance...it really does look enormous....and fabulous.

Bilby's picture

Yes, Icon is looking great - quite a dynamic structure with very expressive form and colour. I'm really enjoying this one!

Qantas743's picture

Bilby LIKES a high rise! I'm shocked! :)

Mark Baljak's picture

I was waiting for a response like that hehehe.

Still if there were more towers of this ilk in Melbourne, there'd be less negativity right?

MelbourneGuy's picture

It's great to see that architects can still come up with something creative as opposed to what our friends at CE produce.

Nicholas Harrison's picture

It is interesting to note that the City of Port Phillip refused the application for Icon, fought very hard at VCAT to uphold their refusal are now trying push through a planning scheme amendment to to put a 10 storey height limit on the site.

I think this development is a clear example of the benefits of performance based planning controls rather than mandatory height limits.

Bilby's picture

It's strange that there is a perception on here that I'm opposed to high rise (or any other form of development for that matter). That wouldn't be a very critical take on urbanism at all. As Mark suggests, if it's a quality design and build in the right location, what's not to like?

Chris Seals's picture

May I say this building should be found in port Melbourne with all the other shipping containers. Waiting for a response.

Chris Seals's picture

Chris Seals's picture

Chris Seals's picture

Chris Seals's picture

Chris Seals's picture

?

drunkill's picture

I think you've said it enough, Chris.

Edit: i was joking :p Must have hit the submit button a few times as the forums were backing up data or something.

3000's picture

It's always bugged me we don't get stuff like this closer to the CBD. Oh well.

Chris Seals's picture

I don't know how that happened ???? Will fix Andrew.

Mark Baljak's picture

Icon
ST KILDA + PORT MELBOURNE | 3182 + 3207 | Projects

STK

Ascent

Mark Baljak's picture

NGV to St Kilda Triangle?

Speculation is mounting the National Gallery of Victoria will open a third gallery on the St Kilda Triangle site.

The NGV is investigating a location for its next gallery – a move coinciding with the Port Phillip Council launching a new consultation for the precinct, which also includes the historic Palais Theatre.

Locals successfully opposed a bid by developers years ago to replace the St Kilda waterfront property with a mixed-use village with shops and restaurants.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/property/capital-gain-roundabout-site-...

3000's picture

Icon is looking good.

MelbourneGuy's picture

Taken from the corner of Toorak and Punt Rd.

Garmatt's picture

Please please please for the NGV in St. Kilda. It will more than compensate for the entertainment precinct not going ahead and will transform this area and St Kilda in general. With that, the restored Palais and Luna Park this would be a real destination and would be abuzz with people. Fantastic idea.

Pages