Last post

Pages

Mark Baljak's picture

Ascent

STK

Icon - topped out

181 Fitzroy St

Michael Berquez's picture

What is happening at 181 Fitzroy? Is the pub in front going also?

Mark Baljak's picture
Melbourne_Fragments's picture

181 Fitzroy was a non-descript office building

johnproctor's picture

it used to be Australian Institute of Management... its moved bloody quickly as they only sold the building 1-2 years ago!

Mark Baljak's picture

550 williamstown Road Port Melb - bordering FB

JCB design

the marc st kilda

STK

Nat G's picture

Any details on the development at 25 Greeves street, St Kilda?

Mark Baljak's picture

^^^
CoPP website
construction of a 6 storey building comprising 63 dwellings, four office tenancies and 86 basement car parking spaces

lodged during Feb so a decision a while off still

Ryan Seychell's picture

St Kilda’s Esplanade Hotel to close for renovations
WILLIAM VALLELY PORT PHILLIP LEADER MAY 04, 2015 5:45PM

ST KILDA’S iconic Esplanade Hotel will close for up to six months, as its owners look to breathe some much-needed life into the tired venue.

Extensive renovations will begin in earnest after the foreshore hotel shuts on May 17, and Espy managers said they hoped to reopen by the summer.

According to a statement on the Espy Facebook page, works will include upgrades to the Gershwin Room and new food and beverage spaces.

“Improvements will strengthen and sustain our commitment to the music industry, with live music being maintained as a central part of the culture and identity of the venue,” the statement read.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/inner-south/st-kildas-esplanade-hotel...

Mark Baljak's picture

hard to tell if there's any current planning app submitted for Waterfront Place, Port Melb. Here's an old version?

edit: could be the current design - http://www.smh.com.au/business/kuwaiti-billionaire-wins-case-for-massive...

Fedsquared's picture

Site is now restricted to 35m.
http://m.heraldsun.com.au/leader/inner-south/land-rezoning-at-station-pi...

Land rezoning at Station Pier restricts apartment heights
WILLIAM VALLELY
PORT PHILLIP LEADER
MAY 14, 2015 3:20PM

THE STATE Government has scuppered plans by a company linked to Kuwaiti royalty to build towering apartment blocks near Station Pier.

Planning minister Richard Wynne has signed off on a land rezoning at 1-7 Waterfront Place, Port Melbourne, known as the “Sheik’s tower”, restricting it to a maximum of 10 storeys, or 35m.

A spokeswoman for the planning minister said the new zoning struck a balance to allow for future development while preventing overshadowing of the surrounding area.

Site owner Action Group Australia — a subsidiary of Kuwaiti company Action Group Holdings, owned by Sheik Mubarak Abdullah Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah — has pushed to build apartments of five, 10 and 19 storeys close to the waterfront.

Its planning application was rejected by Port Phillip Council in 2013, and subjected to VCAT hearings.

However, late last year VCAT removed restrictive covenants at the site, which had previously blocked any changes to Waterfront Place that affected the areas amenity.

Mr Wynne ignored recommendations from a Port Phillip Council planning panel, which last year suggested replacing the mandatory 10 storey building height limit with “performance based controls guided by overshadowing”.

The move brings much-needed certainty to the Port Melbourne community following a six-year planning battle, during which time hundreds of objections have been received by Port Phillip Council.

Mr Wynne’s spokeswoman said the decision was made after public consultation, a panel hearing, extensive work with the Port Phillip Council and Albert Park Labor MP Martin Foley.

Mr Foley said: “In the last election I committed to work to make sure that any development would not overshadow the public realm and be kept to a height the local community group groups supported.”

He said Port Phillip Council now had the planning tools and framework to deliver a development outcome that is in keeping with community expectations and protects local amenity.

johnproctor's picture

^ what a joke.

Port Melbourne residents in existing towers greater than 10 storeys object to development to limit it to 10 storeys.

Mark Baljak's picture

well how's the timing...

Nicholas Harrison's picture

The decision was made by the local community group groups and not the independent panel that recommended controls that would have balanced the development potential of the site and minimised overshadowing of public spaces.

It was an election commitment to appease the locals so it was purely a political decision.

Just like when Matthew Guy became planning minister and slashed the height of 35 Alfred Street to show his appreciation to the rich and influential who lived in the 'Tower of Power' and supported the Liberal party.

Peter Maltezos's picture

^^ Man, I hate that sort of thing!angry

Keep politics out!

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

Qantas743's picture

Foley is going to be a big problem re Southbank/Fishermans Bend/Port Melbourne/St Kilda going forward.

Apparently he told residents in Yarra's Edge during the election campaign that a Labor government would not approve 85 Lorimer Street "under any circumstances". Interesting to see what happens now that Wynne has said he's going to assess existing applications under the old guidelines.

He's also been vehemently opposed to the Crown proposal in Southbank.

Mark Baljak's picture

What are Crown proposing?

Qantas743's picture

Sorry, meant to say the Queensbridge Tower (ie fourth Crown hotel).

Riddlz's picture

450 St Kilda Road Approved.

Overseas sales launch due in July

Riddlz's picture
Nicholas Harrison's picture

Mark Baljak's picture

ascent - stk

icon

Peter Maltezos's picture

^^ Looking good! smileyyes

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

Mark Baljak's picture