Pages

Mark Baljak's picture

Watpac to start work on STK in next few weeks

ST KILDA + PORT MELBOURNE | 3182 + 3207 | Projects

melbourne's picture

i'm interested in how this one will turn out

Mark Baljak's picture

Rock venue Espy hotel up for sale

One of Melbourne's best-known live music and rock'n'roll venues is for sale. St Kilda's Esplanade Hotel, known to legions of music fans as The Espy, is on the market through Jones Lang Lasalle for a speculated $5 million or more.
The pub, which is Australia's longest continuously running live band venue, was at the heart of a long-running and bitter development dispute between locals and property supremo Max Beck, and later a company he chaired, Becton group.
The then owners of the Chevron nightclub Paul Adamo and Vince Sofo took over operation of The Espy in 2001 before the pub officially changed hands in 2006 for $450,000, title documents show.
The pair are expecting to retain freehold ownership and sell a 30-year leasehold for the business, although it is understood they will consider selling freehold for the large 1729-square-metre site to a successful buyer.
Advertisement
The pub has a 3am licence, patron capacity of up to 1752 and multiple revenue streams from bars, functions, live performances, Espy Kitchen and bottle shop, its agents suggest.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/property/rock-venue-espy-hotel-up-for-sal...

Michael Berquez's picture

I'm confused...so Ascent will be directly behind STK?

Mark Baljak's picture

about 50m separation

Michael Berquez's picture

thanks mark

Mark Baljak's picture

piling about to commence

Fedsquared's picture
Mark Baljak's picture

cool little project by wood marsh - 2 inkerman street

Peter Maltezos's picture

^^ Wood Marsh, groovy pop architecture!

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

Alastair Taylor's picture

hahah, ahhh Pete.

Mark Baljak's picture

icon

stk

Mark Baljak's picture

mirka - 30 inkerman street

similar to Agnes East Melbourne - probably JCB as architects?

Mark Baljak's picture

AFR
Mirka Mora to decorate Melbourne apartments

The work of Mirka Mora, a shining light of the Melbourne art scene for more than 60 years, will grace a $30 million apartment block being built in the bayside inner suburb of St Kilda.

The vivacious 86-years-young painter, better known for an artistic repertoire ranging from painting canvasses to puppets, said it was the first time she had turned her talented hands to apartments – but probably not the last.

“I would love to,” said Mirka, whose first name is Russian for “peace in the village”, about the prospect of other commissions.

The scale of her involvement and whether it is restricted to the inside or outside, common areas or apartments, created in her studios or at the apartment, will be decided by her son William, a director of the William Mora Galleries.

“I have a disease, it is called painting, I need to paint,” she said about her involvement in the project, which will be called Mirka. Another nearby namesake is the Mirka restaurant at the Tolarno Hotel.

In addition to decorating the apartments, Mirka currently has major exhibitions of her works at the Heide Museum of Modern Art in Melbourne and Manning Clark House in Canberra.

‘ANOTHER LAYER OF DECORATION’
The six-floor apartment block, which is expected to be completed next year, has pre-sold about 25 of the 56 apartments. Prices range from about $370,000 to $585,000.

Architect Ivan Turcinov, of Carabott Holt Turcinov, said the building’s “simple geometry” would integrate a “complex” mix of timber, glass, metal, concrete and bluestone. The Inkerman street block will also feature high ceilings and private balconies.

“Another layer of decoration will work well,” he said.

Mirka said she was inspired by the light and space, reminiscing about the days when she rented a Collins Street studio that had been previously tenanted by the legendary Heidelberg School artists that included Tom Roberts and Arthur Streeton.

“I have no rules,” she claims, momentarily alarming the architect when she suggests painting the windows black in memory of her father’s love of photographers’ darkrooms. “I am still not mature, I do not want to grow up,” she added.

Nat G's picture

Are there any plans for a shopping/retail development along St Kilda Road such as Vogue (South Yarra)? Taking into account the large number of residential apartments there isn't really a supermarket in close vicinity.

Mark Baljak's picture

^^ not that i know of, probably the best bet would have been the triangle site - not to be

The Marc St Kilda

Nat G's picture

Thanks Mark for clarifying, it puts me off buying an apartment there. It makes the South Yarra apartment developments much more appealing, so many more amenities within arms reach.

Mark Baljak's picture

ALDI, Woolworths, Coles + IGA in St Kilda

probably not as easy as walking over the road to Vogue for instance, but they are there

Nat G's picture

Thanks Mark...I am definitely being fussy with where I want to buy, but I was spoilt by having Vogue so close by. I am just pondering why build so many apartments without some significant retail underneath, maybe it's a cost/benefit reason.

MelbourneGuy's picture

Hey NAT G
Being a SY resident myself, you certainly can't go wrong in buying there. I bought a new car about 2 years ago and I hardly ever use it because everything is at your fingertips. It really is a suburb where you don't need a car.

Nat G's picture

Thank you MelbourneGuy!!

Mark Baljak's picture

year or so late but construction tenders out for space hotel st kilda

Mark Baljak's picture

caydon pics for STK

Mark Baljak's picture

STK - MCG pics