128 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

redden's picture

The east end of the Melbourne Square has been fenced off and they've created an elaborate concrete shape. Garden beds? Fountain?

Primal Beauty's picture

That is an alien landing platform; apparently they are investing in Melbourne also!

redden's picture

Now you're just being silly, primal beauty. Why would aliens land here when they have perfectly good landing strips at Nazca in Peru.

Primal Beauty's picture

Ahh Redden...Nazca lines are ancient...they want new things and Melbourne is perfect for it...believe me this is coming from someone that has been 'taken' by the aliens few times; and I use the term taken quite loosely!

redden's picture

Oh those beasts with their huge probes! Before we get complaints about off-topic, SYmlb has reminded us of a render which does seem to tie in with the outline in my photos.

Reckon it could be this?

Exciting either way to see them do some preliminary works though.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1825946&page=6

Adrian's picture

Could form part of the display suite - would be a first if it then became part of the development itself

Mark Baljak's picture

I have a feeling that render is atop the podium so yeah possibly the beginnings of a display suite

Qantas743's picture

They were advertising this on radio yesterday.

redden's picture

Our "landing base" is gaining a canopy.

Nicholas Harrison's picture

Laurence Dragomir's picture

Just because...

Michael Berquez's picture

/\/\ I desperately want that pic to come true

Qantas743's picture

^^ Lol looks about 270m in that pic!

Adrian's picture

Hah if only !!

I love they've got Crown and A108 in that render Laurence posted as well - the F1GP telecast view is gonna be next level in about 5 years time !! Hope we hang onto the race long enough for them all to finish ..

Laurence Dragomir's picture

I added those in.

Adrian's picture

Ahh well see you did such a great job I couldn't pick it - well done the way you've blended them in is superb.

I hope they use that render in contract renegotiations to show the F1 guys what's coming up on the telecast in a few years time ..

db2's picture

Outstanding, simply outstanding. Hopefully the second tall-twin also happens.

Side benefit, this will hide a lot of Central Equity crud from southerly view points.

redden's picture

This may get under way faster than we had expected, or hoped for.

http://www.theage.com.au

theboynoodle's picture

I wish them luck. But I don't think apartment design is the reason owner-occupiers don't buy off-plan.. I think apartment design is as it is *because* owner-occupiers don't buy off-plan.

Some of the other things might help. But ask yourself this, if you were looking to buy a property for your family would you choose one in a building that won't exist for years.. and which will likely be surrounded by a building site for many years after you move in?

Oh.. and you have to stump up 10% of the price now.

Oh.. and it might not be ready when you expect. Or ever. And if it does you have no assurance over the quality of the outcome relative to what is being promised.

Michael Berquez's picture

wow....such a positive post

pdoff's picture

Boynoodle has a point. But by the same token, there's always been reasons buying off the plan is a bad idea for both investors and owner-occupiers, yet both keep doing it anyway.

Adrian's picture

And with those attitudes nothing highrise would ever get built in Melbourne .. but then I think a few on this forum would prefer it that way anyway.

With the exception of the very unfortunate buyers of Tower Melbourne who couldn't have seen the vexatious litigation of the neighbors coming - any investor or owner-occupier willing to do an ounce of research can made a pretty educated guess on what the outcome of an off-plan outcome is going to be like - based on developers track record here and overseas, layout of the apartments, wording in the contract (eg. European appliances), ceiling heights etc.

But yes it is a risk - what do you guys suggest that potential owner occupiers do if they want to buy into a high-rise apartment then ?? Expect the developers to just build the buildings with no contracts signed and/or no deposits taken ?

That's a chicken & egg fantasy-land you're living in if that's the case.

theboynoodle's picture

@ Michael, Adrian

If we don't face up to the reasons why apartment design is investor focused, and the average tower outcome is poor (because the average tower is a CE/Brady tower), and families are still 'preferring' to live outside of the high-density precincts leading to sprawl and traffic problems, then there's no chance of changing that.

I'm in favour of higher density living. Height is fine. Integrated developments are fine. This particular development looks pretty good and I'm all for a developer trying to make it appeal to owner-occupiers with more, and better designed (apparently) larger units. But, as far as I know. owner-occupier purchases of off-plan units in high-rise are low... particularly early on in the project cycle. If we want that to change then we have to understand why it's the case and see if there is a solution.

With the exception of the very unfortunate buyers of Tower Melbourne who couldn't have seen the vexatious litigation of the neighbors coming - any investor or owner-occupier willing to do an ounce of research can made a pretty educated guess on what the outcome of an off-plan outcome is going to be like - based on developers track record here and overseas, layout of the apartments, wording in the contract (eg. European appliances), ceiling heights etc.

An 'educated guess' is what you make when you're buying shoes online. Not when you're spending a million dollars.

And Tower Melbourne isn't the only example out there. I looked at buying off-plan before I moved to Melbourne. I looked seriously at two developments. With one, I was given apartment layout plans that were the wrong way around (i.e. they claimed to be North facing, but a google earth check of the site revealed that they would be South facing.. "oops" said the agent). With the other, the agent lied about the date for the start of construction.. and the eventual actual start date was long after the one she should have given me anyway. The unit I (apparently) could have moved into two years ago is still part of a building site. Note: both of the agents concerned were the chosen sole agents of the developers in question.

In most of the other developments I looked at, even when I asked for unit details 'at launch', most of the better units were allocated (presumably to investors and/or overseas 'soft launch' purchasers) before any ordinary folk got a look in.

So in 6-12 months of research, during a period of high activity, and being in an ideal position to be an owner-occupying off-plan buyer (no family considerations, deposit good to go, no existing property to worry about etc) I didn't find anything.. and the best things I did find were all in smaller (mid-rise) developments.

But yes it is a risk - what do you guys suggest that potential owner occupiers do if they want to buy into a high-rise apartment then ?? Expect the developers to just build the buildings with no contracts signed and/or no deposits taken ?

That's the problem. The developers can't fund projects without contracts and deposits. But the market of buyers will and able to do that is dominated by investors. That inevitably means that projects are designed with investors in mind. Everyone is acting entirely rationally here, but the outcome of that rationality is a poor one for the actual (or potential) occupants of the development.. none of whom ever had a say.

Mark Baljak's picture

Multiplex in early on this one

redden's picture

Putting a lot of work into their display suite.

Pages