507 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Bilby's picture

It looks like I misread your post, Adrian. I, of all people, should praise the developer for retaining the building facade, is that it? Well, ok, good on them for retaining a small piece of the old building. It will make the residents' lives slightly more pleasant and offer some small sense of connection to the place where they live.

Adrian's picture

And yes, Riddlz, I'm inner city terms, it is a fair hike from the places mentioned, which is why it would have been so valuable for Southbank to have retained some of their qualities, rather than the situation residents now face, which is having to jump on a tram or drive to areas that are actually pleasant to pass the time in.

Again I agree with you that Southbank itself is a planning disaster at ground level but again don't blame A108 just because it's the big fish - go vent your anger at Eddie K*ntner and Central Equity having had a 15 year head start at completely ruining Southbank with their pre-cast garbage.

I don't think the residents of A108 could care less about retaining that heritage facade and as I've stated before I think they may as well have just gotten rid of it, it sits so awkwardly with the rest of the tower.

If Southbank was going to be another great warehouse renewl precinct in the style of Oklahoma Brickworks or Liverpools Seel St area then that opportunity was lost long long long ago so again don't blame what WILL become renowned locally (not necessarily internationally) as a new Melbourne landmark and perfect companion to Eureka which has become our most photographed structure in the last 10 years since it was built.

3000's picture

What they kept (that lame facade) is a joke. It's like the developers think they are giving back by retaining one wall. I would prefer a podium that was something totally innovative over the shitty facade that evokes what SB WAS and not what it currently is.
Ground level Southbank is disaster.

Adrian's picture

Just reported by worzil over at SSC ..

SOUTHBANK | Australia 108 | 70 Southbank Blvd | 319m | Mixed Use

Earthworks have commenced looks like we are finally underway folks !!!

Chris Seals's picture

great to hear Adrian

MelbourneGuy's picture

Fantastic to see a real super tall started.

Chris Seals's picture

Would this suggest piling and drilling next week ??

Michael Berquez's picture

Week after is the schedule

Chris Seals's picture

thanks Michael.

Adrian's picture

Closeup of the earth works from last week ...

Chris Seals's picture

nice to see the preparation, now the real stuff commences,

melbourne's picture

Adrian's picture

Still no piling as of this week as evidenced by Orolorius aerial posted today on SSC .. And not much other activity since earth moving had finished.

Michael B - a slip in the schedule already perhaps ?

lol.....I'm a few days out........sorry ;) #nextweek

Adrian's picture

Seems you were right again Michael !!

Thanks worzil from SSC for this outstanding pic :-)

Chris Seals's picture

That deserves 4 ticks in the royal font Michael.

Chris Seals's picture

I hope I see more than one drilling machine.

I've tried to be all cryptic and shit like Tier...but to be honest I don't even know how to put a tick here. lol.

Chris Seals's picture

lol

Adrian's picture

Site was shut this morning no activity at all.

Michael B no need to be cryptic do you know what's going on ? Waiting on more equipment perhaps or permit issues etc ?

db2's picture

RDO me thinks.

Nicholas Harrison's picture

CFMEU RDO was last week.

It's just one of those things Adrian....my Dad and my Uncle told me piling was to start last week....the equipment is there, it's ready to go. I spoke to my Uncle again yesterday and his reply was "Why are you still asking me when this building is starting? It's started already".lol
I suppose in the grand scheme of things a week or two off schedule is no big deal. One thing I can promise you is that there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong and kick off is imminent.

Adrian's picture

Michael B

Thanks yeah it always seems the bigger the development the more hoops and hurdles they have to get through to commence construction.

My guess as I said before is they are waiting on more equipment as was mentioned this building requires the biggest piling equipment available which can't be easy to come across.

Adrian's picture

One thing I can promise you is that there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong and kick off is imminent.

Seems you were right yet again !!

Pic courtesy of worzil from SSC

That thing is higher than a lot of country towns tallest buildings - it beats the piling rigs used on Eureka by a mile I am sure of it.

Pages