78 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Adrian's picture
#52

And of course the new regulations mean stunning tall architecture like this that actually addresses all the usual planning concerns is no longer allowed but Central Equity will continue to be allowed to build their low rise pre cast torture chambers.

If Aurora gets cancelled by City of Melb bureaucracy I would look at this tower else I'm moving to Brisbane.

Back to top
3000's picture
#53

Aurora won't get canceled. They have permits (or at least most of them) and are starting demo soon.

Back to top
Adrian's picture
#54

Not according to one particularly well informed former over at SSC it's not

Back to top
3000's picture
#55

Can you link me the post? This is big deal if it's true.

Back to top
Adrian's picture
#56

3000 all the forumer said was 'no' to my comment that demolition had officially started. See my latest post in Aurora thread for an update on what's actually going on taken from a ProBuild guy at site today.

Sorry to hijack this thread with another building. I can't wait to see this stunning tower move forward - any word on a display suite I wonder ?

Back to top
Qantas743's picture
#57

Spoke to a contact today about this one.

It appears they're having some difficulties with financing and there won't be any movement until at least the first half of next year.

At this stage they are still taking registrations and it is their full intention to proceed.

Back to top
Danny Boy's picture
#58
Back to top
Qantas743's picture
#59

Was told a few weeks ago this was about to hit the market.

They've been trying to offload it privately but few developers are interested because of the apartment configuration.

Back to top
3000's picture
#60

What's wrong with the actual apartments?
I was in Southbank recently for an inspection and I have to say, the standards really are quite low.

Back to top
Michael Berquez's picture
#61

This approved development went to auction on July 29 but I can't find the results anywhere.

Back to top
Mark Baljak's picture
#62

Some news in the pipeline, hang tight...

Back to top
Qantas743's picture
#63

Not sure of the auction result but I can confirm at least one reputable developer is seriously looking to develop this albeit with some minor modifications (height and overall design to remain the same).

Back to top
Qantas743's picture
#64

Southbank super-thin proposal sells for $16m

http://www.smh.com.au/business/property/bomberled-consortium-sells-armst...

One of Southbank's most unique and highest profile apartment towers is set to start construction after a developer purchased the site, and rights, to replace 54-56 Clarke Street.

The circa $16 million transaction will see Elysium – a super-thin, 74-level building – rise from a 598-square-metre block almost abutting the West Gate Freeway, next door to the near new Bank Apartments complex.

The proposed tower, approved to rise 250 metres and with 288 dwellings, was permitted in 2013 by the former state planning minister turned Opposition leader, Matthew Guy. An appeal lodged by the City of Melbourne council with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal later that year, failed.

An earlier proposal to replace the land with a 180-metre residential tower was also opposed by the council.

Savills agents Clinton Baxter and Nick Peden marketed the site.

Last month, the agents sold a nearby 446-square-metre parcel at 18 Moray Street for $8.8 million to a Hong Kong developer which will proceed with permitted plans for a 124-dwelling apartment complex.

Back to top
Adrian's picture
#65

Seems like you were right Q well done with the inside info back in August ..

This will be such a bonus to get this tower up will make a big impression on anyone driving into town via City Link .. way too good a tower but to get up.

Back to top
pdoff's picture
#66

What's the permit expiry date on this? Going back through the thread it seems to have been approved in late 2013 which would indicate there's still two years to go. But I had the impression (and the Fairfax article suggests) that there's an urgency to starting construction.

Back to top
Qantas743's picture
#67

Don't quote me on this but as far as I'm aware permits for these sorts of projects in MCC usually stipulate that construction must commence within 3 years, with a further one year extension usually granted if a valid reason is provided.

So on this basis the permit would expire sometime next year.

Happy for someone who may know better to clarify the above...

Back to top
melbourne's picture
#68

Real Commercial have this going to a "realisation auction" on 10th November, last updated yesterday. So I assume the site didn't sell.

Back to top
Mark Baljak's picture
#69
Back to top
Qantas743's picture
#70

RIP beautiful design :(

Back to top
Mark Baljak's picture
#71

Buyer found for site of super-skinny Melbourne apartment tower

A block of land that has approval for one of Melbourne’s skinniest skyscrapers is changing hands, at last.

After numerous failed marketing campaigns last year, 54-56 Clarke Street – a 597-square-metre block in Southbank – is believed to be exchanging for about $9 million. The registered purchaser is an investment group known to represent wealthy high-net-worth individuals, including Chinese developers.

The property was offered with a contentious permit issued by former planning minister Matthew Guy, who went on to develop the surname “Mr Skyscraper” because of his penchant for overriding councils and approving landmark buildings.

https://www.commercialrealestate.com.au/news/buyer-found-for-site-of-sup...

Back to top
SYmlb's picture
#72

$9m seems like a bargain considering the height it was approved at and how it would never go ahead under current planning rules.

Is there some changes to this we are not aware of?

Back to top
db2's picture
#73

Don't assume the buyer will build the previous plan.

The might or they might not. We simply don't know.

Back to top
Qantas743's picture
#74

The permit is due to expire very soon if it has't already. Unless they commence construction immediately it's hard to see them going ahead with the current design.

Maybe the low price indicates the permit already has expired?

Back to top
SYmlb's picture
#75

Possible that most developers don't see much value in it with only 288 apartments for a 240m/73L highrise (average 4 apartments per floor). Compared with Prima which is a 250m and 660 apartments over 72 floors (average 9.2 apartments per floor).

I also believe the permit expires in 2018, but not sure.

Back to top
3000's picture
#76

So they'll be actually decent sized.

Back to top

Pages