461 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Melbman's picture

Its amazing looking at that pic and the changes that have gone on in the last few years.

The Como Centre used to stick out dramatically in that area, but these days it fits in quite well.

The pic also illustrates the density increases throughout the inner city areas.

Mark Baljak's picture

AFR

Development sees flock return to Chapel St

>> A surge in apartments along Melbourne’s fashionable shopping strip, Chapel Street, has led to a much-needed pick-up in retail tenants.

Fast-food outlets are outpacing fashion for now, but clothes shops are returning. Fashion stores and international brands have been encouraged by British store Top Shop’s success after it opened 18 months ago.

Agents are in talks with international brands wanting a presence on the strip, such as Uniqlo, Apple and Marks & Spencer.

Fast-food companies that are putting effort into fit-outs and branding are flocking to Chapel Street. New tenants include Mexican chain Zambrero, Ben & Jerry’s ice cream and hot dog outlet Massive Wieners, which will operate 24 hours. An influx of fast-food chains, however, can dilute areas known for their fashion focus.

>> Simon Fonteyn, managing director of Leasing Information Services, said retail strips had lost their lure as shopping centres worked hard to create a mix of brands and increase their food offerings. Generic shopping strips were not competitive against the big malls or the internet. Mr Fonteyn said councils were influential through their outdoor dining and seating allowances, parking restrictions and planning controls.

Stonnington Council, which governs Chapel Street, created a master plan for the South Yarra end of Chapel Street and the surrounding precinct. It was adopted in 2008 and, five years on, billions have been invested in apartments.

Urbis director of economics and market research, Mal Aikman, said the jury was still out on whether apartment development would be enough to revive shopping strips, but Chapel Street was highly regarded and could be leading a new trend rather than following existing examples.

Alastair Taylor's picture

Would be good if Marks & Sparks food halls came along, the rest of it: meh.

Martin Mankowski's picture

I practically lived off stuff from Marks and Sparks Food Halls when I lived in London. They would be a fantastic addition to Melbourne! Quality stuff.

As for their retail, its basically poor man's Myer or rich man's Target, depending on how you want to look at it. I dunno if it would add all that much to somewhere like Chapel St other than the boast of yet another international brand.

Mark Baljak's picture

9 Darling Street construction - tower crane assembled

SOUTH YARRA | 3141 | Projects

Avenue

Mark Baljak's picture

Yarra ferry plan to float Chapel St
August 30, 2013

Rachel Wells

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/yarra-ferry-plan-to-float-chapel-st-20...

>> A ferry will transport visitors from the CBD to Chapel Street as part of a newly released master plan to restore the tired shopping strip to its glory days.

Under the master plan developed by Stonnington City Council, a ferry terminal would be erected on the Yarra River at the northern end of Chapel Street at the intersection of Alexandra Avenue.

>> Stonnington mayor Matthew Koce said: ''We want to create one of the world's truly great boulevards … and a gateway along the Yarra River would be a great way for people to arrive.

''They could come straight from Southbank and we would have an iconic wharf there - something that heralds you've arrived in Chapel Street. I think it could be one of the great tourist attractions of Melbourne, if not Australia.''

>> The 10-year master plan also includes transforming the Cato Street car park - behind Coles - into a large village square with an underground car park.

Other initiatives include turning key side-streets, including Greville Street, into ''pedestrian friendly'' thoroughfares, introducing ''pause points'', new street furniture and ''Barnes Dance''-style pedestrian crossings - to allow pedestrians to cross diagonally - at major intersections.

Cr Koce says an engineering feasibility study into the Cato Street underground car park and village square will begin soon.

*facepalm*

How do you make the Toorak Road <-> Yarra River section with a more appealing pedestrian environment?

Similarly, have Stonnington & Yarra City councils ever thought about Clearways in major sections of Church and Chapel Streets so trams could run far more frequently linking with East Richmond in the North and Windsor in the south?

Nicholas Harrison's picture

Stonnington took the former labor government to the Supreme Court when they tried to put clearways on High Street. They lost in court but as soon as the Liberal party got in they removed the clearways *facepalm*.

It is Liberal Party policy not to support clearways. They refused to put in place clearways for bus lanes on Hoddle Street and removed clearways from Victoria Street in Richmond, Sydney Road in Moreland and High Street in Kew.

Melbman's picture

Love the Ferry idea, but its a pity that the main part of that strip which would interest tourists is certainly not close. A ferry/tram connection is fine, but hardly ideal, and expecting people to walk that far isn't exactly going to be a winner (especially with bags on the way back :) ).

I like the village park idea on the site of the Cato St carpark though, with underground carpark. The area could do with such an area.

Martin Mankowski's picture

I actually looked at this option when I wrote my ferry article, and didn't think it would be viable given the aforementioned walk to the actual shopping precinct and the fact that there is already a train station there that would get you there much quicker. What would be the gain? Would be good for tourists I suppose, but that in itself probably wouldn't be enough to warrant its existence. Shame, because in theory would be a nice addition.

Nicolaas - The Libs will ALWAYS put cars first - so says Tony 'Roads are a sign of progress' Abbott. They will never install clearways and give trams priority like Alastair mentioned above. Heaven forbid if we actually solved a problem by inconveniencing 'poor suffering' motorists. I fear for PT in this country as of next Sunday!

Melbman's picture

I fear for the country either way next weekend.

This is an election that offers very little in the way of inspiration.

K Rudd is floundering and back to his old ways and Abbott is definitely not the ideal leader I would like to see. One (Rudd) offers 'Nation Building"as an excuse to rack up endless debts through very questionable fiscal management, and other (Abbott) has the right attitude to controlling spending, but offers little else that excites me.

Oh what a democracy we live in :)

Mark Baljak's picture

a crane on a 2/3 level building....not so long ago this was an absurd prospect

Argo

SXY2 complete

Melbman's picture

^^^Looks pretty good really for what it is. Atleast they went to some effort.

Mark Baljak's picture

Longford apartments complete

Avenue

Chris Peska's picture

^^ really liking the Avenue! Awesome.

Observe. Design. Build. Live.

Melbourne Muse's picture

^^^

A perfect reflection of the river on which it sits.

Marvelous Mega-Melbourne

Melbman's picture

The Avenue looks great. Having the windows open like that really seems to add something. I like it.

Mark Baljak's picture

plus architecture pic for sxy 2

Paul_D's picture

Great shot!

Michael Berquez's picture

Yep great shot...my only wish now is that they fix the crown of Vogue. Surely it's a mistake.

Paul_D's picture

two more today

Mark Baljak's picture

think Rockley Apartments may be launching soon

nice EF design

Michael Berquez's picture

Yep, great design for that spot. I'd love to live there.

Paul_D's picture

Yesterday
(and to think that this glass is really dirty when you get close up. Imagine after a clean!)

Pages