Mark Baljak's picture

claremont manor

SOUTH YARRA | 3141 | Projects

gisele

Danny Boy's picture

LK Groups' 35-41 Claremont Street is 94m and 31L (97.4 - 2.96)

Hassell design for an 8L luxury apartment complex at 230 Toorak Road

Mark Baljak's picture

another at 14 Ellis Street

not sure I'd be in a rush to live in this config

Aussie Steve's picture

Bedrooms with no windows is a very poor design outcome let alone the awfully small balconies at the rear of the property. Clearly trying to pack too much on a small site.

SYmlb's picture

I own an apartment in SY (rented out) which has the exact same layout, maybe a touch larger kitchen area. The building is a converted warehouse on Claremont and was finished in the 90s. Doesn't seem to have stopped many from purchasing it and finding tenants is very easy. If the area is desireable enough people will overlook any issue irrespective of how many view it. I personally wouldn't want to live in there again but it makes a great rental property.

I have to tell you though, I lived in there for the first year and lost power one night while in the bathroom, that was ridiculously scary.

Aussie Steve's picture

SYMLB, doesn't mean we should be encouraging the creation of such apartments, just because people will chose to live in them, doesn't make them a good design outcome let alone a good livable home in a 1st world country.

Michael Berquez's picture

But it's probably not up to you to dictate what is and isn't liveable to someone else. If someone wants to buy a flat without a bedroom window, good luck to them.

Aussie Steve's picture

It may not be up to me personally, but the planning scheme should dictate good design in Australia and not seek to lower our standards.

theboynoodle's picture

Space in the places where these things get built is at a premium - which is why people will trade off things like a bedroom window. In a world where 'micro housing' is generally being seen as an interesting new solution to the cost of city living, it seems odd to be especially bothered about whether there's a window to a room that's mainly used when it's dark.

If those apartments were identical, but they didn't have the bedroom walls, then would people have a problem with them?

Is anyone here able to propose layouts on that footprint that deliver a similar number of dwellings in a better way? Or do you all just not want small (and, therefore, relatively affordable) apartments on that site?

If I was shopping for a small apartment I would not place a bedroom window high on my list of priorities - especially if (as is often the case) it came at the cost of making the overall layout less efficient or appealing.

This not actually a new thing. I lived in a 90's complex (that, at the time was considered luxury) on Tivoli Road in Sth Yarra and my bedroom didn't have a window...was no big deal to me at all. I also remember a mate in an old californian bungalow HOUSE and his bedroom did have a window, but it was the size of an ipad and it was stain glass so pretty pointless.

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

lets allow the building rooms that require constant electricity for lighting and ventilation at a time when we're trying to cut carbon emissions....

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

people will choose to live in them because they can't afford anything else, is this it ? millenia of human development and the best we can do to house other humans is less than the bare minimum?

And who decides on what the bare minimum is? If an apartment offered me a reasonable living area with doors opening onto a great balcony I couldn't give a shit about a window in my bedroom. I don't know why yo guys find ti so hard to just accept that not everyone looks for the same thing when buying a property.

theboynoodle's picture

It's not the bare minimum. It's in bloody Melbourne.. one of the best places to live in the world, during the era of mankind's greatest ever prosperity. Anyone who can afford to live in one of these places can afford a place with a bedroom window.. it will just be somewhere else.

You're looking at things way too narrowly. Living standards are not just about the boxes we live in, they are about the world that's just outside them. Melbourne, like the other great cites of the world, will never be able to house all the people who want to live here.. in *any* format of home, let alone one that conforms to your higher standards.. so there will always be compromises. If someone prefers a small place in South Yarra instead of a bigger an hour away from town then so what?

Also, your environmental point is weak. The higher build and transport costs that will come from lower density will vastly outweigh whatever infinitesimally small increase electricity costs arise from having to turn the light on in those bedrooms when it would not otherwise be necessary. You remember, don't you, that we mainly use our bedrooms during the times of day when windows aren't doing all that much from a lighting perspective?

I saw a lot of really bad apartment designs in my time looking for a place here. Lots of places are clearly built purely to appeal to investors, to the absolute detriment of anyone wanting to actually live in them. So I'll call that out when I see it. Those layouts are fine. They are small, but efficiently designed, meaning that people who are shopping in that price bracket don't have to buy space that they don't actually need, for windows they're not really bothered about.

MelbourneGuy's picture

On the positive side, having a windowless apartment would certainly appeal to people who appreciate a totally dark bedroom to sleep in.

Bilby's picture

Or vision impaired people.

Nicholas Harrison's picture

16-22 Claremont Street will be recommended for approval at the Council meeting next Monday.

Mark Baljak's picture

more completions

Her Majesty's

Yarra House

Lucia

Ground level of Lucia looks good...quite glam.....very Toorak (although it's in Sth Yarra)

3000's picture

Lucia came out alright. Very "retro" feel from the podium.

Mark Baljak's picture

Hinge Architects scheme for Chapel Street

MelbourneGuy's picture

Lucia might look alright but I had the chance to inspect some of the apartments there. I'll say one thing, they're nothing to write home about.

3000's picture

That's a shame. I've been on the market for one to rent and some of the ones in the CBD (Spencer Street) are just awful. I was hoping Yarra would have a bit more to offer.

MelbourneGuy's picture

As a rental they might be ok, but certainly not to live in on a permanent basis.

Aussie Steve's picture

This looks like it is sitting behind the historic Prahran Arcade, which ain't gonna happen!

Pages