1380 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

theboynoodle's picture

Maybe the legislators are a bit concerned at retrospectively banning materials that they previously certified as safe, given that residents will, quite rightfully, be looking for someone to foot the bill for replacement. And if the buildings were built to code, they might feel it's the guys that wrote the code that should be the ones.

*Hopefully* the delay in working out what to do about the cladding is connected to a delay in working out a plan for dealing with what's already there which isn't telling residents "you have to fix this and how you pay for that is your problem". People who bought these units have been badly let down by developers and regulators. As a taxpayer who doesn't have a dog in this fight, I strongly support the government funding a replacement program and, itself, seeking any recompense rightly due from any developers who are in breach of their own duties. Let's not allow another Grenfell to happen here where politicians have to stand next to the ashes and say "well really it's down to the owners corp for not being able to raise the funds quickly enough".

Peter Maltezos's picture

^^ Agree, whether it's the VBA or some federal authority, they are responsible for approving these panels to be sold and used in Australia.

You can't blame the developers for using something that was approved.

The government should step in and fund the replacement of all combustible panels on Australian buildings immediately!

My 2 cents worth.

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

https://www.commercialrealestate.com.au/news/melbournes-atira-student-to...

MELBOURNE’S ATIRA STUDENT TOWER WINS COUNCIL ON TALL BUILDINGS AND URBAN HABITAT AWARD FOR CONSTRUCTION
April 25, 2019 Jenny Brown

MELBOURNE | 3000 | General News and Discussion
The glass panels with aluminium hoods were designed to show the residential nature of the building. Photo: Dianna Snape

Forced by the premium cost of Melbourne’s CBD land to go very tall on a tight site, a new student accommodation building has won a major award in an annual international tall building competition.

The same conditions that now beset available sites in so many global capitals mothered such an impressive range of technological and building innovations that the $100 million, 44-storey Atira on La Trobe Street was named winner of the construction category in the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat 2019 awards, announced at the association’s yearly conference in China in early April.

Thom Gilbert, principal and project architect for Atira with the long-established east-coast firm of Hayball, tells that with huge drive and inventive input from the contract builder Hickory and Hickory Building Systems, the 150-metre-high tower with a façade articulated to resemble snake skin, is now “one of the tallest prefabricated residential towers in the world”.

To make the building that houses 792 student rooms and that progressively steps back from the pavement as it rises, the facades and bathrooms were fabricated off-site “and assembled at night with silent cranes”.

“It was sown together like a giant Lego set”, Gilbert says.

It was also built in a relatively scant 24 months. “Because of the prefabrication it was built 25 per cent faster and to a much higher standard than most tall structures.”

The night-time construction program using the quiet cranes was dictated by the need not to disturb the sleeping city, and just as crucially, so as not to disrupt the trams that run down busy La Trobe Street.

What Gilbert calls “a super-tall, super-slender building” is, nonetheless, “incredibly strong”.

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

Matthew 46's picture

I hope this goes ahead actually.
I have been searching for a new location to perch my new business https://www.domainregistrationdns.com.au/domain-names.php however its seems to me that the metro Melbourne area prices are rising far beyond reach of many business owners. I have been watching this development closely yet I still cannot find the expected price ranges.

Pages