Collins Street ~ 1900s.
Bourke Street ~ 1950s.
^ Both of those facades are still hidden under the cheap Target cladding
Collins Street, opposite the former Western Market ~ 1950s.
Christmas 1963 in Bourke Street, featuring the Myer Santa Special Tram.
From the books: Trams and Streetscapes, and More Trams and Streetscapes, Metropolitan Melbourne 1950s-1960s
Emile D. Badawy and John Sargent
Train Hobby Publications
Dunklings, that's a name I'm vaguely familiar with.... jeweller??
^^ Yes, Dunkling's was a jewellery store.
Collins Street in 1935.
Notice the twin domes of the Freemasons Hall at the foreground (left) and the former twin towers of the first version of the T&G Building at the corner of Russell and Collins Streets in the distance.
Collins Street in 1935 again.
The Former Eastern Market, south-west corner of Bourke and Exhibition streets.
Fashion at Flemmington in 1966.
Leisurely day at Brighton ~ 1900s
Smith Street Collingwood ~ 1900s.
The Foy & Gibson buildings in the postcard below are a major construction site at the moment.
One of the main ferries that used to service Port Phillip Bay, S.S. Weeroona ~ 1900s.
There is a street named after it in Rye.
The Treasury Gardens once had a Japanese Gardens section until the beginning of WW2.
Prahran Arcade, Chapel Street in 1891.
Two postcards showing the 8 Hour Day Procession in Bourke Street ~ 1900s.
Notice the keen men on the light pole (bottom left).
Aftermath of the great fire of 1897, the devastated Fink's Building (north-east cnr of Elizabeth and Flinders Streets), once the tallest building in Melbourne.
Photo from 1876 showing The Victorian Arcade & Academy of Music and The Bijou Theatre designed by Reed & Barnes.
This was destroyed by fire in 1889 and replaced with a new Bijou Theatre designed by George Johnson. Now demolished.
A stroll down the east end of Collins Street in 1967.
Above we see an old ANZ Bank, (formerly Union Bank of Australia), 351 Collins Street, built in 1878; the architects were Smith and Johnson of Melbourne, in association with Macvicar Anderson of London.
The top storey was increased in 1905, filling in between side rooms which had stood like pavilion towers as can be seen below.
It was demolished in 1966.
The two statues by R. Jackson, Britannia and Goddess were moved to ground floor corridor of the former Architecture, Building & Planning building at the University of Melbourne.
Collins Street, on the north side between Elizabeth and Swanston Streets was part of what was known as The Block and “doing the Block” was a fashionable pastime. On Thursday and Saturday afternoons it was almost a social must to be seen here. Today’s footy fans might find it hard to believe, but in the 1870s even football took second place to The Block. Saturday games were timed to start after people had finished lunching and promenading. The Block was home to smart coffee houses, booksellers and music shops and was the ideal place for a young lady to meet a beau. In 1890 the Block Arcade was built to link Elizabeth and Collins Streets, making the area even more fashionable.
Postcard above ~ 1910s.
Postcard below ~ 1900s.
Doing 'The Block' (Collins, Swanston, Bourke and Elizabeth Streets), December 1900.
Sandringham, above and below about 100 years ago.
Below, Sandringham in the 1950s.