Text from Walking Melbourne
The National Trust Guide to The Historic and Architectural Landmarks of Central Melbourne.
Former Lyric House and Kodak House
250 and 252 Collins Street
These two buildings show the tall thin proportions of many interwar buildings on Collins Street, and each is notable in its own way. Lyric House won the 1931 RVIA Street architecture Medal, the year it was completed, and was designed by A & K Henderson for Wertheim, Melbourne’s premier piano retailer, and was described as ‘an architectural representation of the Spirit of Music’. This is perhaps expressed by the string-like narrow fenestration, but more particularly by the figures on the entry arch, depicted playing the flute, lute and cymbals, Kodak House, completed only four years later in 1935, shows the fundamental shift to modern forms; designed by architects Oakley & Parkes, the façade is dominated by the vertical ribbing of the central ‘curtain-wall’ section, executed in shiny chromed metal.
Two old black and white shots below, and a recent shot of mine follows.