278 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Martin Mankowski's picture

The 18Albert display suite popped up the other day (across the road where temporary Coles should be!) and is currently open for inspection by appointment only. The public launch is this Saturday; will try to get along and take some pics.

In the meantime, here's some progress pics I took this afternoon:

FOOTSCRAY + MARIBYRNONG | 3011 +3032 | Projects

And some of the McNab Ave development and the surrounding RRL Footscray Station upgrade:

The construction of the new platform has begun.  This will be the platform for the Sunbury line - the existing platform 1/2 will be used for the RRL.

There's going to be escalator's at the Irving St and Bunbury St exits, as well as down to all platforms.  A welcome relief at the end of a hard days work!

State Trustees going up quickly...

The facade only started going up the last few days.

It will make a great focal point for Footscray as the train pulls into the station.

Mark Baljak's picture

ahh thanks

that state trustees facade is making me nervous

slightly altered podium

Mark Baljak's picture

state trustees

18 albert moving quickly

boulevard

Glennwilson's picture

18 Albert

Great shots. How did you manage to sneak in there? Or are you working on the site?

I think State Trustees will look great lit up at night when finished.

Mark Baljak's picture

don't often see a concrete floor broken in that rough

Mark Baljak's picture

sans jump form

Melbman's picture

Loving the impression this makes on the approach into Footscray. Hopefully over the next few years we will see more buildings go up in Footscray.

Thanks for the updates.

Maribyrnong Council have released a new plan for the 'Footscray Central Activities Centre (CAA)'.

"The Footscray City Edge Masterplan establishes a vision for Footscray with integrated open space, greening, access, parking and high quality urban design."

http://www.maribyrnong.vic.gov.au/Page/Page.aspx?Page_Id=9438

Basically they are introducing an Activity Centre Zone (ACZ), which will be divided into eight precints which will dictate the level of development that can happen.  I assume this is in response to Matthew Guy's announcement a few weeks ago.

Aside from the known stuff in the Joseph Rd precinct, they have also identified several possible future sites including: a 25 storey tower at Footscray Market, and a 20 storey tower next door on the cnr of Hopkins and Irving St. Happy Days!

They have also mentioned 2 new possible tram lines: the previously mooted Hopkins St/Dynon Rd line via E-Gate into the city, as well as another line down Cowper St/Napier St/Footscray Rd into Docklands. Even happier days!

They also plan to apply several new heritage overlays, including the Belgravia Hotel, where a development currently appears in the UM database:

http://urbanmelbourne.info/projects/maribyrnong/16-20-buckley-street-foo...

Dont know if the HO hinders it, but cant say I'd be too disappointed to see it not get up - the renders look pretty average. I wouldnt mind seeing it return as a pub. Given the recent successful makeovers of The Plough, The Reverence and The Station Hotel (where you have to practically kill someone to get a table on a Friday or Saturday night), I reckon some savvy new owners could make it work.

Mark Baljak's picture

looks good, two things of note
> how does kinnears site fit into it all?
> still have the maribyrnong wharf area slated for urban renewal on that map, the ARM concepts were for muntiple office buildings if i recall

> how does kinnears site fit into it all?

The council are implementing a new Environmental Audit Overlay, where a fairly stringent test for contamination will have to be carried out first. This applies to the Ryco site and the petrol station on Napier St. Despite being outside of the ACZ, I suspect they will apply it to the Kinnears site too, given some of their past concerns about it. Hope the Ryco and Kinnears sites pass - they are 2 of the biggest and potentially best sites in Footscray.

> still have the maribyrnong wharf area slated for urban renewal on that map, the ARM concepts were for muntiple office buildings if i recall

The maribyrnong wharf area is actually on the west side of the river, south of Napier St/Footscray Rd. Its a mixture of old and newish offices/warehouses and AFAIK, isnt slated for urban renewal any time soon. Shame, because the rebuild of the actual wharf has been finished and will open as a commercial dock for small boats/yachts soon. Would be a great area for apartments to look over.

The area shown on the map, east on the river, slated for urban renewal is news to me too. Technically its on Coode Island - surely it would be a long time before we saw any residential stuff there.

Mark Baljak's picture

hrrrm good point

Chris Peska's picture

Not knowing the ins and outs of the site, I will assume that the clean up the Kinnears site may take anywhere from 2 to 5 years to complete. Massive site and a long history of industrial use.

Observe. Design. Build. Live.

Mark Baljak's picture

state trustees

Nicholas Harrison's picture

Great pics guys! Its looking good, I quite like facade shape and colour. Hopefully should be done towards the end of the year.

Mark Baljak's picture

hammering along at footscray plaza

shangri-la construction have picked up trio/barkly square

Melbman's picture

Great progress in Footscray.

Thanks for the updates.

Mark Baljak's picture

pew pics from hacer

FOOTSCRAY + MARIBYRNONG | 3011 +3032 | ProjectsFOOTSCRAY + MARIBYRNONG | 3011 +3032 | Projects

FOOTSCRAY + MARIBYRNONG | 3011 +3032 | ProjectsFOOTSCRAY + MARIBYRNONG | 3011 +3032 | Projects

Nicholas Harrison's picture

Website is up for 62 Wests Road Maribyrnong which will be called Marque Maribyrnong

http://marque-m.com.au

Mark Baljak's picture

Blegravia Apartments about to launch

belgraviafootscray.com.au

^^^ This is quite interesting. AFAIK, Maribyrnong Council are about to put a heritage overlay on the Belgravia. Doesn't look like they have kept any of the original facade.

This at least looks better than the original renders I saw, though that's not saying a lot! There doesn't seem to be much going on at street level - surely they could have done better than this? The Royal Hotel, Barkly Hotel and Barkly Theatre all incorporated the original facades really well. This is a bit uninspired.

BTW, is the website right? Doesn't seem to exist?

found the issue, no .au.

belgraviafootscray.com

Pages