Error message

Warning: array_flip(): Can only flip STRING and INTEGER values! in EntityAPIController->load() (line 219 of /srv/www/drupal7/sites/all/modules/entity/includes/entity.controller.inc).
301 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Adam Ford's picture

What's the external material? Is that like a mesh?

Bilby's picture

Seems to be hardwood timber batten - but a little hard to tell?

Mark Baljak's picture

Spanish Club - Warren & Mahoney Architects

FITZROY + FITZROY NORTH | 3065 + 3068 | Projects

Michael Berquez's picture

/\/\ looks great

theboynoodle's picture

I understand that there are concerns that this building is being developed at all.. but if it is to be done then that looks like a very good proposal that's in-keeping with the historic industrial architecture of mid-rise Fitzroy. I vote yay.

3000's picture

Providing that frontage ends up looking like that then I can get behind this.

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

Not too bad and the kind of thing we need in the inner city, but it commits the cardinal sins of A/ removing original windows to be replaced by tacky thin semi open ones, essentially signalling that the facade is just a shell, not a building.
also this ahistorical obsession with painting EVERY heritage building either white or black.. stick with the current colours

3000's picture

I like the new windows. Makes the frontage more open and will look fantastic for restaurant.

Bilby's picture

I think Melbourne-Fragments is referring to the original windows on the first floor. Right now, they are original timber windows - they should remain as part of the heritage facade.

Mark Baljak's picture

Fitzroy gasworks back in play

Government developer Places Victoria has started investigations into the potential redevelopment of the heavily contaminated but valuable Gasworks site in North Fitzroy.
It is understood the estimated clean-up bill for the 4-hectare site, bordered by Smith and George streets and Queens and Alexandra parades, could range between $30 million and $50 million.

Places Victoria's general manager of new business development Michael Lenarduzzi said an initial phase of community engagement into the potential for a mixed-use precinct started this week and would continue until June 10.
"Following the initial community feedback and further due diligence, Places Victoria will assess whether it is feasible to move ahead to the preparation of a draft master plan for public comment," Mr Lenarduzzi said.
"A commercially responsible development will be required to help fund the remediation costs, the potential relocation of the council depot and delivery of community facilities," he said.
The City of Yarra has called for any proposal to include facilities for the local community, including an indoor sports centre. Its Smith Street border is the site of the recently defaced 1980s feminist mural.
The property, at 433 Smith Street, has been an industrial site for more than 100 years, and was previously the location of a gasworks, where coal was processed into gas.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/property/fitzroy-gasworks-back-in-play...

Peter Maltezos's picture

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/high-anxiety-in-clifton-hill-over-prop...

High anxiety in Clifton Hill over proposed 17-storey tower

July 13 2016 Clay Lucas

It would be the highest apartment tower ever built in a largely low-rise area, where the residents are well-organised and experienced at fighting what they call "inappropriate development".

Which is what makes a recent application for a 17-level tower on a strip of land between the genteel suburbs of North Fitzroy and Clifton Hill worth noting.

The former light industrial and commercial area on Queens Parade in Fitzroy North is wedged between Hoddle Street and busy Heidelberg Road, and is next to a major tram and bus interchange, as well as the Hurstbridge and South Morang train lines.

Its mixed-use zoning is designed to encourage medium and high-density development.

The tower application was made to Yarra Council in May. It is the highest building applied for in the neighbourhood.

It follows applications earlier in the year for a 10-storey retirement home a few doors down, and an approved 11-storey apartment block next door.

The 17-level project would cost $30 million to build and be far higher than the predominantly one and two-level buildings in the area. The project is a joint venture by the Tarascio family's Salta Properties, and Wolf Capital, a smaller development company owned by the Wilson family and Penelope Callaghan. They bought the land for the project for $8.5 million between July and November last year.

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

An artist's impression of the proposed tower on Queens Parade.

Aussie Steve's picture

If this isn't a good site for high density development in the inner city, then I don't know where is. There are no houses immediately surrounding the site and in fact they are north-west over the wide Queens Parade; south-east over the wide Heidelberg Road bridge; and north beyond the rail bridge in the City of Darebin.

drunkill's picture

Yep, it is an island precinct, separated by wide roads and even a trainline and parks.

Bilby's picture

... And two of the rarest and most significant Art Deco buildings in Victoria.

drunkill's picture

Which are protected and I don't see McDonalds moving out anytime soon.

Mark Baljak's picture

Fitzroy development site sells within three hours

The art supplies shop behind the Black Cat Cafe in Fitzroy has sold to a residential developer just hours after the building went on the market.

Savills state sales director Clinton Baxter said it was the quickest sale of the year. The 44-46 Greeves Street property was put to market at 11.45am on Monday and sold by 2.30 that afternoon.

Mr Baxter, who negotiated the Greeves Street deal with Jesse Radisich, said the local developer "didn't want to miss another chance in Fitzroy" and paid $3.2 million for the 450 square metre site, which is just off Brunswick Street.

The buyer was the under-bidder on 71-75 Argyle Street, bought by Piccolo Developments last month for $7.8 million, in a deal also brokered by Savills

http://www.theage.com.au/business/property/fitzroy-development-site-sell...

Bilby's picture

Interesting. The site is zones GRZ (General Residential) allowing for only 3 levels maximum. Also, in the broader picture of the Fitzroy market, the site could hardly be said to have "sold in three hours". It was recently on the market for months after being passed in at auction on a vendor bid, and finally taken off market before being put up for sale again. I don't know what you could do here - perhaps town houses off the laneway behind the Black Cat? It would certainly have to be a boutique development at the price paid, given the potential developable area. And then there is the issue of the heritage significance of the 19th century Fitzroy Rechabite Hall itself - it's a bit dilapidated, but is an Individually Significant building with some important interior elements remaining. It would be sad indeed to see this gutted and rebuilt without proper respect for the existing built fabric.

3000's picture

That can be said about many of the current sites in Fitzroy. It's character comes from these buildings, so the question is how do you develop an area like this that people want to live in whilst still keeping its original character intact?

Mark Baljak's picture

GURNER Queens Parade

Peter Maltezos's picture

^^ Love it! smileyyes

Reminds me a bit of Habitat in Montreal.​FITZROY + FITZROY NORTH | 3065 + 3068 | Projects

3000's picture

Sign me up.

Bilby's picture

The new David Watson Architect design proposed for 36-38 Kerr St. The current site is a small non-descript warehouse. The proposal is for a 10 storey tower without any setbacks in a 1-2 storey Fitzroy back street largely made up of intact Victorian terraces.

What do others think of this proposal, given that the terrace streetscape is heritage protected, and therefore not likely subject to intensive redevelopment in future?

http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/list-planning-applications/view-applicat...

Bilby's picture

Oh, forgot to say - the Gurner proposal for Queens Pde ^ ... is actually rather impressive on first glance. I hope there is a substantial setback for the historic warehouse, though.

Dean's picture

That kerr street proposal is horrendous. Note to architect: Maybe a total redesign at half the height.

Pages