Error message

Warning: array_flip(): Can only flip STRING and INTEGER values! in EntityAPIController->load() (line 219 of /srv/www/drupal7/sites/all/modules/entity/includes/entity.controller.inc).
301 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Bilby's picture

The old cinema could be adaptively reused in a number of ways. In a commercial development like this, it would have made a fantastic supermarket space, similar to the incredible space under the 59th Street Bridge in New York. Alternatively, it could simply have been developed into townhouses, with the old retractable roof opened and part of the rear facade demolished to provide north light into the resulting atrium space - with the ceiling essentially retained. Worst case, the existing facade could have been restored and the development placed within the existing four walls, retaining the beautiful red brick Macrobertsons lane frontage with its original porthole windows.
FITZROY + FITZROY NORTH | 3065 + 3068 | Projects
Queensboro Bridge supermarket

Bilby's picture

I'm not sure about that warehouse, either, John - I'm not aware of a development there.

3000's picture

This is something I can get behind. We need this sort of interesting reusage in the CBD.

johnproctor's picture

Cracking space that supermarket.

Bilby's picture

Yes, I found that supermarket by accident on a walk one day around Sutton and Beekman on the east side of NY. The Lyric Star Theatre is likewise an impressive space that is altogether rare in Melbourne. It really should be retained, but Hayball are keen on knocking it over for apartments.

Nicholas Harrison's picture

Approved at VCAT:

Bilby's picture

Well, there goes one of Australia's last remaining large pre-1920s cinemas. Don't worry, though, Fitzroy has plenty of its other historic cinemas left ... oh, wait.

Laurence Dragomir's picture

Church on Napier website has been updated with a host of new renders:

http://churchonnapier.com/residences/ 

Bilby's picture

What a great project this one is - the Kerstin Thompson building to the front of the vacant site is an intriguing addition to the streetscape - the perpendicular orientation of the roofline to the church roof and gable end makes for an interesting composition. Likewise, James Stockwell's incredible glazed roof on the north side of the church building is both respectful to the built form and interior built fabric (including roof trusses and purlins (as I understand it?). Contrast this visionary adaptive reuse of a site with the mindless total demolition of the Lyric Star with its equally incredible interior and roof structure in the Hayball project above.

Mark Baljak's picture

Martin Strode, the developer behind the 17-level former Yorkshire Brewery apartment complex, will raze Fitzroy's historic Lyric Theatre after getting approval from planning authorities.

Mr Strode's company SMA Projects submitted plans for a 10-storey building on the site at 239-249 Johnston Street. The plans include a ground-floor supermarket and liquor outlet, and 158 apartments above.

The buildings on corner of Gore Street were occupied by Jimmy Possum furniture and include the MacRobertson Garage site, parts of which will be retained in the new development.

Yarra Council rejected SMA's plans on the grounds the apartment's height was excessive and would have an impact on other nearby heritage buildings. It also opposed having another liquor outlet in Fitzroy.

The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal approved the project this month.

Mr Strode said construction of the $115 million complex would start towards the end of the year and building would be finished in mid-2017.

No tenant had been finalised for the 1800-square-metre retail component, although it was expected to suit a supermarket operator, he said.

The art nouveau-style silent picture Lyric theatre - hidden from Johnston Street behind a rendered blue wall - screened films between 1922 and 1952.

An expert's report found the facade of the theatre has been altered so many times that there was little of historic value left.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/fitzroys-historic-lyric-theatre-to-mak...

Bilby's picture

This one is a real blow to heritage in Melbourne. The city is fast losing the last of its great early 20th century commercial interiors. It seems that unlike New York, Melbourne is just too provincial to get adaptive reuse of heritage auditoriums. It's not likely that a venue of this size, scale and incredible historic detail will ever been seen again in Fitzroy - a shame, because the population is skyrocketing. Meanwhile, in New York, the retained and restored Brooklyn Academy of Music has itself become the catalyst for a dynamic new urban cultural precinct in Brooklyn. Would this place have survived the wrecker if it was in Melbourne, or would the theatre itself have been demolished, like the Lyric Star, for a single apartment complex?

http://ny.curbed.com/tags/bam-cultural-district
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_Academy_of_Music

"It seems that unlike New York, Melbourne is just too provincial to get adaptive reuse of heritage auditoriums"

Just not true.

Melbourne has a fantastic collection of historic cinemas and theatres that are well protected. Most of them don't have to be adapted because they are still used as theatres or cinemas including:

The Princess Theatre
The Regent Theatre
The Comedy Theatre
The Capitol Theatre
The Athenaeum Theatre
Her Majesty's theatre.
The Palais Theatre
Rivoli Cinemas
The Sun Theatre
Westgarth Cinemas
The National Theatre St.. Kilda
The Astor Theatre
Palace Balwyn

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

^ that's not the point though is it. those are all still theatres for various reasons.

here we are talking about adaptive re-use (adapting heritage in a creative way to a new function), for the most part Melbourne development rarely regard this to mean keeping more than a token facade in front of a tower, rather than a truly interesting re-use like that New York example

Bilby's picture

Great, Nicholas! 13 heritage theatres / cinemas that survive for a city of 4 million inhabitants and growing. That's 1 historic theatre retained for every 307,692 Melburnians. How many historic CBD and suburban theatres have been demolished or poorly adapted - not in the last 100 years, but in the last three decades? And what is your ideal number (give or take) of historic theatres to retain for a city the size of Melbourne?

You seemed to be implying that Melbourne has a poor record of retaining heritage theaters compared to other cities such as New York. I disagreed with that implication. The most significant theaters in Melbourne were saved years ago.

Also I just did a list off the top of the top head, I am sure there are more.

I am sure the decision to allow the demolition of the Lyric was a very difficult decision for Council but it is in very poor condition, extensively modified and was never one of the most significant theaters in Melbourne.

Bilby's picture

The most significant theatres in Melbourne were "saved years ago"? Nicholas, on a very cursory count on this page - just looking at a 10km radius from the GPO, there are about 100 cinemas listed as "demolished". Were any of those "significant"? I'll leave that to you to judge ... http://www.caths.org.au/venues/VIC.pdf
Here's another little overview of the theatres and cinemas that once graced the CBD: http://bpadula.tripod.com/autobiography/id73.html

Not now.

What was your argument again?

Mark Baljak's picture

AFR
Unpermited site

A local developer has paid $5.5 million at auction for an 850 square metre future residential development site without a permit in Fitzroy in Melbourne's inner north. The yield, based on the short-term leases in place, was under 2 per cent demonstrating the demand for inner suburban sites. The single title property comprising two commercial buildings at 140-142 Johnston Street and 1-3 Chapel Street was offloaded by a private family for the first time in 50 years through Teska Carson's Michael Taylor and Tom Maule.

Up the other end of Chapel compare to where all the local artwork is...

Rohan Storey's picture

The reality looks nothing like these renders
[img=http://www.flickr.com/photos/heritagepoliceman/18624204705/in/dateposted...

Lookingupatbuildings

Mark Baljak's picture

365 Smith Street

melbourne's picture

Looks good!

Bilby's picture

I'm not so sure about the merits of east facing apartments without the capacity for external screening, but at least it's set back a reasonable amount from the Macrobertson's factories that make up the street wall. Facets and curves are very on trend ... I guess this will be considered early 21st century vernacular one day. I find the façade pattern a little too symmetrical, but it could have been worse.

166 Getrude Street has been approved by VCAT:

http://kalex.com.au/designing/166-gertrude-street-fitzroy/

It will replace this lovely building:

Aussie Steve's picture

I am not too sure about the roof form on that structure. So long as you can't see it from Gertrude St, then it may be ok, but there are long views to this site from other surrounding streets that I think will make this top roof form a poor outcome for the area.

The roof section had two levels but will be cut down to one level via a permit condition.

Bilby's picture

I don't mind the Manfax replacement, myself. This, however, I mind:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/fitzroys-spanish-club-building-to-make-wa...

What does, "Make way for new apartment building" mean? It sounds like demolition of the Spanish Club, which is a heritage listed, contributory building in the Johnston Street precinct. It was also a Masonic Hall in the past, which the article makes no mention of, nor does council's own heritage citation. But the Masonic symbols are in plain view on the façade parapet in Johnston Street. I should note, too, that date stamped photographic evidence of this exists, just for the public record. It is absolutely criticial that the Spanish Club façade is retained and that any new building is set back from the street to allow it to read correctly in the streetscape. Let's hope the developer uses the same approach as they did with their recent Cambridge Street warehouse development.

Pages