Error message

Warning: array_flip(): Can only flip STRING and INTEGER values! in EntityAPIController->load() (line 219 of /srv/www/drupal7/sites/all/modules/entity/includes/entity.controller.inc).
301 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

It is a great design, though calling half a million dollars 'reasonable' for a 2 bedroom apartment shows just how bad housing affordability is in this country

Laurence Dragomir's picture

I think the junctions between new and old could have been better resolved on 160 Argyle. Seems like a somewhat unsympathetic intervention. As a standalone design it has merit but personally I think the integration of the warehouse is quite poor.

Bilby's picture

It's probably worth mentioning that the historic dairy currently on the site next to Pfeifer Engineering on Argyle Street will also be demolished for this project. Quite a poor outcome in such an important HO all round, really.

MelbourneGuy's picture

Sorry to hear that Pete but I've got a house in SY and it's never been broken into. Mind you, I've got a couple of dogs which may help.

Mark Baljak's picture

dealcorp/woods bagot 6L apartment block at 237 Napier St

FITZROY + FITZROY NORTH | 3065 + 3068 | Projects

Mark Baljak's picture

miya

nojo over the road sold out

Peter Maltezos's picture

Both MIYA and NOJO look great! yessmileyyes

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

Mark Baljak's picture

62-70 Johnston Street, Fitzroy approved by VCAT

Bilby's picture

This project in Napier Street adjacent to the Fitzroy Town Hall looks really fantastic - it's rare to see such a thoughtful design with a well resolved set of aims, matched with a beautiful materiality. Let's hope the whole row of ugly tilt slab offices eventually turn out as well as this!

http://milieuproperty.com.au/projects/whitlam

Bilby's picture

This one on the old Manfax Paints / Chas &Co. site in Gertrude street also looks rather good in its context - it is well articulated to fit within the heritage streetscape. My only concern is with the slumping / faceted elevation that tilts toward the terraces to the rear. I'm just not convinced that it is as well resolved as it could be - otherwise, a welcome addition to the street. The development is designed by Jackson Clements Burrows - now in planning:

http://kalex.com.au/designing/166-gertrude-street-fitzroy/

Rohan Storey's picture

160 argyle - I find the retention of facades with little or no setback so annoying, its like fetishising a bit of old stuff, left as a sort of screen, not a building - either it should look like at least some of the building is retained (like Bilby said, but 4m barely enough), or not keep it at all ! Hope City of Yarra didnt think this was the best outcome.

Lookingupatbuildings

Mark Baljak's picture

approved Fraser Paxton for 250 Gore Street

new plans by Hayball for the site

Bilby's picture

I like the new design better than the original one - but the original design was already too overbearing for low-rise residential Gore Street - widely acknowledged to be one of the finest and most eclectic early streetscapes in Melbourne. Is 9 storeys appropriate here? I notice that the developer hasn't included the other side of the street in any of the renders, and the Moor Street side next to the existing 2 storey terraces looks very poorly scaled ... where is the (usually required) step down towards the existing heritage buildings?

Mark Baljak's picture

Bespoke

George Corner & District

Miya

Mark Baljak's picture

148-159 Cecil Street by Rothelowman - something a little different

Peter Maltezos's picture

^^ Brutalism meets pop?

I like it! smiley

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

Laurence Dragomir's picture
Bilby's picture

I don't mind this one, either, Peter. It's quite retro in a postmodern way. It's certainly a great site to reuse and densify, too, without resorting to demolition of the suburb's existing heritage built fabric.

3000's picture

MIYA looks like a great example of how one can develop here.

johnproctor's picture

9 Smith Street by NeoMetro main site cleared and ajoining building scaffolded (to right of shot) site offices at the rear.

Construction soon?

Mark Baljak's picture

Yeah marries up with the dates they offered as to when construction would start

Mark Baljak's picture

237 napier street at sales - aka CF Row

very neat design

can someone confirm this is the project that got knocked back at VCAT? cnr Gore and Johnston

Bilby's picture

I can confirm that it hasn't yet gone to VCAT - I rang council the other day with the same question. They seem to have put it on the wrong part of the page under the "refused by VCAT" section. It hasn't been, however. Let's hope it is, though, or Melbourne will lose one of its oldest and largest purpose built cinemas - if you haven't seen it in person, get in to Dimmeys and have a look around this incredible heritage space before it's gone.

johnproctor's picture

^ how would you imagine the space being adaptively reused?

johnproctor's picture

Btw bilby do you know what's happening to/at the first warehouse North of the eastern freeway entry at hoddle street? Nice old brick saw tooth warehouse looks to have been gutted inside and roof removed. UnSure if whole building is coming down and what will go there in its place?

Pages