melbourne's picture

DOCKLANDS | 889 Collins Street | 31L & 25L | 90m & 73m | Residential

melbourne's picture

Peter Maltezos's picture

^^ Great photos Ryan, can't believe how quickly these three went up! surprise

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

Les Whyte's picture

Peter, There is 4 towers at 889 Collins Street, 2 tall towers one to the left and one in the middle behind one of the 2 shorter towers facing onto the Yarra River.

Peter Maltezos's picture

Cheers, thanks for correcting me, need to look at these in person, it has been awhile!

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

melbourne's picture

melbourne's picture

redden's picture

People are moving in and the riverside promenade is open. Finishing touches are being given to the landscaping around 883.

DOCKLANDS | 889 Collins Street | 31L & 25L | 90m & 73m | Residentialfree photo upload

Aussie Steve's picture

Beautiful concrete paths. Love how we use concrete in our prime areas around Melbourne. [sarcasm]

Mark Baljak's picture

Promenade looks narrow and barren

3000's picture

I guess if you enjoy concrete you are in for a good time.

Grampians's picture

sarcasm taken...sigh...the finishing details and finer points of pedestrian experience detail are frequently dull and unimaginative around many parts of town...at least its not the dreaded asphalt

Garmatt's picture

And native trees..........urgh.....!
Less a 'Promenade', more of a suburban carpark.

Adam Ford's picture

^^ yeah, right. Because the TREES are what's wrong with that image above.

It's fascinating how as a nation we can now recognise cultural cringe in ourselves in so many dimensions, but not in landscaping. Admittedly cause the pioneers had no idea what they were doing, but that's the whole POINT of being a pioneer, wot?

PS what's with the essay on 'how to code' I suddenly have to scroll past to find the submit button??

Garmatt's picture

Rubbish. Ask anyone what they would prefer to see St Kilda Road lined with - gum trees or deciduous - and I know what the overwhelming answer will be. Besides, it's not cultural cringe, it's my personal opinion. Those trees will go no way to softening that stretch of suburban carpark any time soon. They belong in the bush, not in the city. They look cheap, nasty and uninspiring. Complete eradication of every melaleuca that exists in this city should also be a priority!

pdoff's picture

"Besides, it's not cultural cringe, it's my personal opinion."

.. and your view on native flora is your personal taste.

Being a country boy originally I'm quite fond of gum trees and the way they're used in the city in certain areas. They're not for everywhere but Melbourne is an Australian city after all. Try softening your often blunt tone.

3000's picture

Why is everyone getting so caught up on a tree?
If there is any area that needs something in the way of greenery, it's here. A common complaint of Docklands is that it lacks greenery and is much too focused on developer-centric outcomes. The photo in question shows just how lacking the area is at street-level compared to other areas of Melbourne and same can be said of Southbank.

Whilst it is indeed getting better it still feels like many other newer urban renewal precincts around Australia, particularly Sydney.
So how else can we make Docklands better as a whole?

zenith's picture

Established gums look phenomenal in inner-city Sydney suburbs like Darlinghurst and Surry Hills.

Michael Berquez's picture

The fact that gum trees are ugly AF has nothing to do with cultural cringe

Primal Beauty's picture

Well they are not ugly!!!
They are beautiful in there own way just like any other tree and can be incorporated in urban design just like any other tree...obviously a lot of people do not get out much apart from posting expensive holiday pics! !!!

3000's picture

All that is missing is Q complaining that Docklands is doomed because the tree had a height cut.

johnproctor's picture

the width of that footpath is ridiculous. have we learnt no lessons from the old World Trade Centre etc. also why break it up further with light poles, nowhere to sit, 1 tree, etc.

hopeless

johnproctor's picture

I'm fine with gum's btw. they don't make a good avenue so would be shite on St Kilda Road but think they are beautiful and interesting trees (interesting in that you get the gnarly bits and all that)

Melb on's picture

So we are all in agreement with this little stretch of yarra? FAIL!!!

3000's picture

Yeah. Yuge missed opportunity at street level.

Pages