New design for Northbank Goods Shed

3000's picture

Yikes.

Michael Berquez's picture

Better

zenith's picture

Moving the crane now?

Garmatt's picture

This was always going to be problematic....how does one actually get to this building? The access from Flinders Street is appalling! I think some pedestrian improvements must be in the pipeline for this area, though, as Melbourne Quarter residentials go up and the site next door gets going.....
Crane moved to that end makes sense as it’s where all the foot traffic is. Looks awesome with a red paint job, as well. All in all...good!

drunkill's picture

Wurundjeri way has ruined almost any chance of a decent pedestrian (or street life) activation on that section of Flinders St.

3000's picture

Yeah I've been curious about this section of Flinders for a while. It's a traffic sewer so there's not a lot that can be done outside of extending the park over it and shoving a ton of trees on it.

Grampians's picture

main new built structure is rather snappy and quite allusive to the "container ship abstracted" aesthetic, which i like a lot. Location issues with traffic and access are horrendous...need a game changing over-Flinders-street solution here to knit and cohere multiple elements together.

Mark Baljak's picture

Crane atop Exo Apartments - no idea what's in store for this one

redden's picture

This was Dash 222's response to a query from worzil.

Yes apparently Lend Lease are replacing the cladding on Exo at their expense. Good move.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Is this the Altus site?

218 Harbour Esplanade Docklands VIC 3008
Demolition and development of a multi-storey residential building on a four storey podium, use of the land for retail, office premises and car park

https://lodgement.planning-permits.delwp.vic.gov.au/public/detail/834

redden's picture

I think it must be. The original address was 238 Harbour Esplanade and Google Maps have it as 208-240 Harbour Esplanade. This application follows hard on the heels of the sale of the Monarch tower site in City Road, so, have they sold this site too, or are they having another go? If it is the same mob, they've got a head start. Services diversion has been completed and the Lord Mayor performed the sod turning ceremony on 8.10.14..........

redden's picture

Display suite for the Docklands Residences

[/QUOTE]

redden's picture

The Hoyts complex.

[/QUOTE]

Ryan Seychell's picture

Latest apartment release for New Quay, must be Lot 5 (375-381 Docklands Drive)

Melbman's picture

^^ I like the use of what looks like a brick facade on Docklands Drive. Something different.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Called Escala:

redden's picture

Thanks Mark, will be good to have that empty lot filled. I too like Escala's brick section. Now, if they would only get cracking with the Quarter site, just opposite Escala, the whole eastern end would lose that unfinished look.

3000's picture

Trees and brick in docklands?
Maybe there's hope after all.

redden's picture

Display suite for the Docklands Residences.

Mark Baljak's picture

Etihad Stadium set for major upgrade in Andrews government cash splash

Etihad Stadium and its surrounding precinct will undergo a $225 million revamp under a landmark deal between the AFL and the Andrews government announced on Thursday night.
But in another move which is sure to infuriate non-Victorian AFL clubs amid calls for the grand final to be played at venues other than the MCG, the iconic Melbourne venue is set to host the AFL season decider every year until 2057.
The current deal for the MCG to host the feature day on the AFL calendar was set to expire in the mid 2030s.
The state government made a raft of significant announcements on Thurday night as part of their major stadium strategy - a key component of the May budget.
Ikon Park in Carlton’s Princes Park is one of the big winners from the funding announcement after being allocated $20 million.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/andrews-government-set-to-splash-cas...

redden's picture

I took The District car park lift up a few levels today and got an overview of the recent activity. There may be two projects under way, as there's quite a gap between them. I don't think that either of them is Toyota, as somethinglikethat's map shows Toyota right on the corner of Footscray Road and Waterfront Way. When I spotted piling under way on the north side of the car park, the young bloke said that he thought it was for Woolworths. Woolies is supposed to occupy the first two levels of the car park, so I guess it will extend out to the north too. The primary school is 259 Footscray Road, which places it south of Little Docklands Drive, next to Kaplan, so I don't know which project is occupying the last photos I took from up in the car park. Maybe someone knows?

The proposed Toyota and Lexus dealership is on the corner of Footscray Rd and Waterfront Way.

Woolworth's piling, on Waterfront Way, across from Costco.

The line of trees is Little Docklands Drive, with the school next to Kaplan, so which project is this Geotech unit working for.

Little Docklands Drive, with the school site.

[/QUOTE]

redden's picture

The white box is the Marriott/Docklands Residences display suite.

Laurence Dragomir's picture

NH Architecture have completed a new Master Plan for The District and remaining undeveloped parcels. The development will also include Cross Laminated Timber construction above parts of the existing centre.

Mark Baljak's picture

AsheMorgan embarks on second phase to revive Docklands mall

Sydney investment house AsheMorgan has embarked on the final phase of its $150 million plan to turn Docklands' unloved former Harbour Town mall into a retail, food and entertainment mecca.

Construction will kick off this week on The Market, a new fresh food precinct that will replace two levels of a seven-level car park adjacent to the mall, now known as The District Docklands.

Once complete in mid-2019, The Market will offer a 3800-square-metre, full-line Woolworths, a Dan Murphy's liquor store, a large Asian grocer, a Priceline pharmacy alongside 25 speciality retailers including butchers, delis, bakers, coffee roasters and cafes with a design and feel inspired by famous overseas food markets such as Chelsea Markets in New York.

It will complement AsheMorgan's revival of the next door mall, where a new eight-screen Hoyts cinema plus restaurants, Strike bowling, and an urban brewery will open in September.

"We believe from an entertainment perspective, the offering of The District Docklands will be unprecedented," said AsheMorgan principal Alton Abrahams. "When you combine it with the nearby ice-rink and the observation wheel [Melbourne Star] it's quite an exceptional and attractive precinct."

Construction of The Market will start on Tuesday with a symbolic "concrete-cracking" ceremony.

'Exciting' urban renewal
Alongside the $150 million AsheMorgan project, developer Capital Alliance has approval for a $200 million Marriott hotel and apartment development rising 17 stories that will neighbour the mall, while across the road a new Quest hotel is being built by MAB Corp alongside a new state government primary school.

Mr Abrahams said AsheMorgan was also working on a new masterplan for the broader 10-hectare site. "This is a really exciting development for Docklands, part of the urban renewal of the whole precinct," he said.

http://www.afr.com/real-estate/commercial/development/ashemorgan-embarks...

Pages