394 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Mark Baljak's picture

Grocon’s Melbourne office project set to kick social goals

After a run of high-profile Sydney projects Grocon has launched a major office project in inner-city Melbourne with its Northumberland development winning two major tenants and seeking a capital partner.

Grocon’s latest project will see it develop the land around and above the existing Telephone Exchange in Wellington Street, Collingwood, to create a new campus-style office building.

The $120 million project will take a particular focus on environmental and social sustainability objectives in keeping with the area’s sensibilities.

Designed by award winning, Collingwood designers, John Wardle Architects, the project integrates with the existing telephone exchange buildings, using the available area on the ground to create a new laneway and space for an office building of 13 levels and companion five level complex consisting of cafes, retail and meeting space.

The City of Yarra Council has supported the application, albeit with a condition requiring the removal of three floors, and the matter is scheduled for a VCAT hearing next month

Nevertheless, Grocon has already picked up precommitments from working hub operator The Commons and skincare group Aesop, which is based in nearby Fitzroy, to take space in the mooted 15,000sq m tower.

In a nod to the area’s social concerns, homeless people will have access to showers at the proposed office block and one tenth of 1 per cent of the annual office rent will be paid into a fund established by Homes for Homes to create new social and affordable housing.

Northumberland is targeting a top ratings under the GBCA’s GreenStar Design scheme and will be among the first Australian buildings to win certification by the International WELL Building Institute’s WELL Building Standard.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/property/grocons-melbourne-offi...

Bilby's picture

Just to clarify, that's 0.1% of annual office rent to go to new social and affordable housing (or literally one one-thousandth of annual rent). So for instance, if annual rental was $200,000, Grocon would donate $200.

If that's a "nod" to the area's social concerns, ok. But trying to make it look like Grocon is donating "one tenth" of anything is a bit much from The Australian.

Dean's picture

The building will have 15000 sqm of office space so annual rents will be much more than $200,000. Probably about 20-30 times more... but hey I get that you needed a ridiculously small and unrealistic figure to make your point.

3000's picture

Remember, it's annual as well so it will continue for the duration of the leae. It's more than the Asian developers of cbd have contributed.

Bilby's picture

I may actually have been a bit generous in my hasty analysis. Let's assume $500 per m2 in rental over the whole building (15000m2). That's $7.5 million per annum.
1% of the rent is $75,000. A tenth of that is $7500 (tax deductible, of course).

Dean's picture

How much are you donating??

Andrew Mck's picture

But he is a architect of blocks of empty air. So there

Bilby's picture

Never mind how much I'm donating - I don't disclose my donations as a rule. More to the point, what is the PR value to Grocon of being associated with "... a fund established by Homes for Homes to create new social and affordable housing"?
If you want to donate to a charity and not be open to questioning and critique regarding your business motivations in doing so, then it's simple - don't advertise your giving.

Dean's picture

FFS what is your problem with the world?. Any sort of donations to the under prevailed should be welcomed not 'questioned and critiqued'. Are you a fucking cyborg?

Bilby's picture

It's a pretty commonly understood idea, Dean, that if a company goes out of their way to advertise their donations to the world, they are doing it for reasons other than pure altruism. Do I have a problem with this? Not really - except in cases where the benefit to the charity is vastly outweighed by the value of the publicity benefit to the company involved.

Michael Berquez's picture

I'd hate to be you

Bilby's picture

Ok. But it seems that my argument stands, irrespective of whatever personal attacks might come along.

zenith's picture

Hardly.

Bilby's picture

Oh, it stands, Zenith ... unless you, or anyone is going to challenge any of my premises? Go ...

zenith's picture

No one cares enough to bother challenging your viewpoint.

Bilby's picture

Damn. And here's me thinking you could have been a contender.

Mark Baljak's picture

Couple more of Holme Apartments

COLLINGWOOD + ABBOTSFORD | 3066 + 3067 | Projects

3000's picture

Not bad. A few places in Brunswick East have a similar street level treatment.

SYmlb's picture

Yeah that is fairly decent. Big fan.

Mark Baljak's picture

28 Stanley - one of the better outcomes in recent times

Peel

johnproctor's picture

a little infill I came across walking home the other day.

120 Campbell Street Collingwood.

replaced the red brick garage in this street view (if you advance to the most recent street view you can see this under construction)

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.799914,144.9895494,3a,75y,85.78h,92.33t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sMCmPCL2JgfxYpgrpNMbopQ!2e0!5s20130401T000000!7i13312!8i6656

johnproctor's picture

Trilby on Smith (next to Gaso) has a piling rig on site.

10 Keele they've closed the on site display suite and have started some minor internal demolition but nothing serious yet. They are adverstiging a new display suite around the corner.

Haus

compared to render. hopefully this is either some internal waterproofing or temporary cladding before the orange 'tiles' go on.

47 Peel - you can see its a bit of a landmark being 4-5 stories taller than others in immediate vicinity (although Yorkshire is almost opposite on the other side of Wellington at 16 stories or whatever) The wedge works very well.

Pace of Collingwood - demolition complete very quickly.

Lantern at 195 Wellington going up very quickly now.

Mark Baljak's picture

42 - 44 Oxford Street and 61 - 63 Cambridge Street and 16 Langridge Street, Collingwood

Mark Baljak's picture

Haus

10 Keele

Peel Milieu

Trilby

theboynoodle's picture

I like the design of Milieu, but the 'seams' around the brickwork tiles are really shoddy. You can see them in the pictures, but it's a lot worse in real life. Hopefully they will be able to tidy up, once the heavy construction is done, so the finish bears some resemblance to what it's supposed to be imitating.

Pages