428 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

3000's picture

All dick wagging height issues aside, this will look great in the skyline.

Mark Baljak's picture

CBD | West Side Place | 250 Spencer Street | 4 towers | 270m | 79L | Residential

CBD | West Side Place | 250 Spencer Street | 4 towers | 270m | 79L | Residential

Adrian's picture

^^ that would clearly be the big f*** off crane ready to hoist the seemingly complete display suite into place. Have a look at the couterweights on that mother !!

Clever design that shouldn't be too hard or too long for them to relocate it when the first tower goes UC on that site next year.

Mark Baljak's picture

Pic from Cranes in Australia page

Adrian's picture

Installed !!!

3000's picture

I see

Adam Ford's picture

Gee, that podium leaves a bit to be desired - even worse than the original renders.
Build quality here seems well down on what was promised, but heck these overseas buyers aren't gonna care about that ...

Sorry. I'll just be over here for a bit ....

Adrian's picture

LMAO build quality !?!? It hasn't even started yet !! And compared to the original renders lol ?

Chris Seals's picture

build quality ? Have you been consuming that forbidden apple again Adam ?

Adam Ford's picture

Subtlety isn't your long suit, I'm guessing? Chris Seals? Adrian?

Melburn21's picture

i lol'd Adam

Adam Ford's picture

:)

Bilby's picture

I don't know, Adam - I'd actually be happy with a podium like that ... it's very POMO.

3000's picture

I think the podium fails to take in the delicate heritage fabric of the area. Bilby would agree.

Adam Ford's picture

OK, that's enough, now folks ...

melbourne's picture

Michael Berquez's picture

OMG....why are they digging???

vicmic's picture

Can these really be the images of the final proposal? Surely they can improve on this - it looks like an incoherent stack of erratic grab bites from the 70s, 80s and 90s without any apparent driving idea or even consistent intent. Although that would be consistent with the greedy overbuild they built over the road. Should projects this large be the result of a compulsory architectural design process if only as a preventative measure to avoid these worst outcomes as it would be in NSW? If that display suite is any indicator or prediction of the site's future then things are dire. How miserable. Spencer Street can only take so much punishment. Where are the urban design authorities or the OVGA in their evauation of this and how close will be their assessment and scrutiny of it be? Will this be publicly displayed?

VicMic

Alastair Taylor's picture

But how do you stop birdshit architecture being thrust upon us from starchitect firms during these apparently all-wonderful competitions though?

*ahem* Crown/Queensbridge - the same firm who did the Sydney Tower won the local competition.

Even so, why should a private landowner be subjected to a public vote for the design they build on their own land? The competitions will just be internal and therefore the subjectivity of the public won't be incorporated.

New public buildings are a different story and probably the only area you could forcibly regulate for public votes & architectural competitions. But all this development is not public, it's private.

Mark Baljak's picture

Dorsett look like the second hotel operator in the second tower

Mr Williams added that it would look to grow its hotel portfolio over the next few years, with an aim to run its Dorsett hotels and retain the ownership of those properties.

The hotel brand had expanded in northern Asia and would be looking to the burgeoning Chinese tourist market.

“Dorsett is gaining a strong brand following in Asia, particularly north Asia, China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore,” Mr Williams said.

“So we hope to bring middle-class Chinese here, but it won’t be at the expense of the Aussies.”

The first local Dorsett’s are planned for the $3bn Queens Wharf development in Brisbane as well as the West Side Place project in Melbourne.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/property/hong-kong-listed-far-e...

Melbman's picture

^^ Impressive.Looking forward to seeing that area develop.

The amount of new hotels planned are certainly going to help.

Danny Boy's picture

Adrian's picture

Nice renders.

I don't wanna sound like QANTAS but they sure are taking their sweet ass time to launch this tower that sales display is still sitting there dormant.

I'm also not convinced this has 100% approval didn't it only get a blanket envelope approval for the site from Mattt Guy but surely final design needs approval.

Maybe they've hit a wall thanks to tricky Dicky and his new planning rules ?

MelbourneGuy's picture

Funnily enough, I just spoke to one of the guys there today and he told me there would be a mid year start on this.

3000's picture

What a beast.

Pages