428 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Archi88's picture

We are opppsite the site and noticed lots of dust created on windy days and desparate water spraying with partial effect. Does anyone know whether the asbestos risk to surrounding residents has been thoroughly monitored by work safe and which occupational hygienist company is involved. Is Air monitoring taking place regularly? How would we find this out ? Thanks

Archi88's picture

Should work safe be informed

Mark Baljak's picture

water spray is standard on any large-scale demo. dust is a by-product of demolition - that's the way it is

what would worksafe have to investigate? EPA are the body and they have been informed according to the article on the previous page

Chris Seals's picture

Can anyone tell me how far this demo has to go? Will construction start mediately after ?

melbourne's picture

I'm not sure how much longer the rest of demolition will take, but looking at the site the other day, looked like most of the site has been demolished now. What I would imagine will happen is they'll erect a display suite on site, then start construction sometime next year on the larger tower similar to what they did on Upper West Side across the road. No sales have currently taken place and they havent taken any building to tender yet. So still a few months off construction it seems at this point.

Chris Seals's picture

thanks for that Ryan

Qantas743's picture

They still have to apply for each tower individually. Does anyone know what the process is if the master plan for this has been approved but the new Minister takes a less favorable view towards high-rise?

Nicholas Harrison's picture

They have a planning permit to build the towers they just need to submit detailed plans for each tower. The Planning Minister could not unreasonably refuse to endorse the detailed plans if they are consistent with the master plan.

A planning permit for the display suite was issued in September.

melbourne's picture

How do we know when they've submitted detailed plans? Will it appear on the register or?

Bilby's picture

If there was a concern about residual asbestos being present, then work safe would have a serious issue to investigate.

melbourne's picture

CBD | West Side Place | 250 Spencer Street | 4 towers | 270m | 79L | Residential
CBD | West Side Place | 250 Spencer Street | 4 towers | 270m | 79L | Residential

melbourne's picture

Adrian's picture

All dressed up (or is that down) with nowhere to go !!

Apparently detailed plans/launch should happen around April.

Michael Berquez's picture

Ding dong the witch is dead

Danny Boy's picture

Mark Baljak's picture

looks like the final design is closely following the render from last year

melbourne's picture

Really excited for this one. I wonder if that is an accurate depiction of the design of the other two buildings in the render, or whether they are just indicative and are yet to be designed properly.

Qantas743's picture

What happens if Wynne introduces new minimum apartment sizes/standards while the entire block is under construction?

I mean it would seem weird to have say two of the buildings with 1-bedroom apartments a certain size and the other two another size.

Adrian's picture

You would think all 4 towers will get approved in one hit so whatever the laws are at the time of approval will be what it is he won't make designs that are already approved go back and re-design.

Anyway as for the render that white section at the top will be a glass roof on the hotel should be a pretty incredible experience having a cocktail up there - should satisfy those dissapponted by A108 not having an obs deck ..

Mark Baljak's picture

Ritz-Carlton scales Melbourne heights with Far East Consortium

Hong Kong's Far East Consortium will develop the first Ritz-Carlton hotel in Melbourne on the top 15 floors of a 79 level high-rise tower to be built at 250 Spencer Street on the former The Age site. The hotel will have 250 rooms and be the tallest in Australia.

>>> 79 levels a deviation from the initial 90. The planning app will tell....

Chris Seals's picture

So we have dropped down from 90 to 79, What does that leave the height minus the 11 ,levels ?

melbourne's picture

Bigger floor to ceiling heights for the hotel?

Adrian's picture

Not to mention the glass atrium at the top which will take up a couple of uncounted levels as will some of those plant and diving levels in the render.

I think they're talking about habitable floors only - doing a rough floor count from the render it's still about 85 levels at least ..

Chris Seals's picture

great to hear, thank for the update Ryan and Adrian.

Rohan Storey's picture

Im so far behind on this one, but heres my 2 cents worth anyway - 6m setbacks from teh strets not much, but better than the less or none of other things around; the 10m gap between towers just a bit minimal, and will mean that end of lonsdale will be sadly bereft of even a sliver of sunlight much of the year; it will also mean that the garden space on top of the podium of the Upper West Side opposite will also be shaded much of the time, though I didnt expect it to actually ever be well used given the wind effects, in fact wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't actually happen (or has it already ?). Luckily for the little 'park' planned on this site, its got the low rise william angliss college directly on the north side, though one day they may go, or build up...

Given the 10m gaps, at least in this case the apts will be designed to look away from each other I assume, or will some look straight at each other but purchasers will know??

All these issues would be resolved by the coming apartment standards, bring them on I say !

Lookingupatbuildings

Pages