Last post

Pages

melbourne's picture

CBD | Avant | 54-64 A'Beckett Street Melbourne | 172m | Residential

Michael Berquez's picture

I have no doubt it's going to be a cool building....it's just so annoying that you'll barely see it from any direction where it is.

Melb on's picture

I know I know, what a waste for such a beautiful building stuck next to the hideous MY80 smothering this beauty and built so close. They should be made to pull the shit box down [MY80] and rebuild it to this ones standard. This is going to be pure class when finished.

3000's picture

MY80 is actually quite nice, it's the apartments within that aren't so good.

Drazic Casey's picture

There is still that small plot between Avant and the courts. Was it approved to build another toothpick sky scraper??

3000's picture

It was called "Uni Tower" and it was terrible.

Mark Baljak's picture

great facade so far

Adrian's picture

^^ Awesome facade !!!

Shame about the height & location though .. this deserves to be the original 250m in a primo location like Spencer St facing Docklands not buried away butt up against MY80 ..

3000's picture

Yeah this location is a shocker.

Garmatt's picture

Yes and no....this is what Melbourne does best - having these hidden gems (literally, in this case).
It's typically Melbourne not to have this in more prominent location. Once Aurora gets up it will be practically hidden from all angles, and yet, the developers have gone to the trouble of still ensuring it's facade is spectacular. Love it!

melbourne's picture

Melb on's picture

Thanks for the great photos guys, this building is really becoming something else now.
As I have said before, I just love this one its is absolutely gorgeous, wish it was twice as tall on a corner. Just think about the hovel this street was a few years back and there is more to come i believe.

3000's picture

I'm liking the facade but I'm hoping there's more to it than pretty glass.
I think this will look better than empire. It's turning out to be an eyesore.

melbourne's picture

Rohan Storey's picture

This one is certainly squeezy ! An odd T shaped site, and theyve filled it to the max (though without plans with dimensions hard to say exactly), looks like right to the laneway (making the purple glazed wall concrete wall of the stairs 6m away from the east facing units in MY80 above level 7 (below that the buildings are only what, 2m apart ? though its carpark levels facing each other), with units right on the laneway boundary behind that, and then looks like setback maybe 3 or 4 m ? from all the other boundaries, which are with low buildings that until recently could have had much the same on them - but with the new rules mandating at least 10m separation, any developments on them (including the L shaped site next to the RMIT site) would have to set back a lot more from their boundaries, maybe they're undevelopable now ? So first come, well served ! Maybe. I do like the diagonal grid and purple glass, though a little disappointed to see that the grid is stuck on, but then I should've guessed it wasn't going to be structural.

Lookingupatbuildings

3000's picture

This is why we need the mandatory setbacks. If you give developers a free reign you end up with this. Not to mention the height chop meant they would squeeze every apartment they could out of this site rather than mandate quality.
This is the reason the north end gets so much criticism.

SYmlb's picture

@Rohan, I believe the setbacks are 3.7m for the podium (basically the width of the laneway) and 5.4m for the rest of the tower (level 7 or so upwards).

I would not blame just Avant for this though, MY80 was built right to the boundary. Like 3000 said above, this is why I am 100% for the new planning regulations from Wynne. If we end up with fewer towers so be it, I'd rather a better designed city than this mess. It's a terrible result for all residents involved.

Drazic Casey's picture

So the 10m setback is already in effect?
That means Uni Tower would not materialise?

3000's picture

Uni Tower can go away. Every reader shows it looking worse and worse.

melbourne's picture

redden's picture
melbourne's picture

drunkill's picture

To think this will be a hidden gem of architecture in Melbourne.

Because you won't see it from afar from many angles.

Bilby's picture

Amazing times in Melbourne if a skyscraper can be "hidden" in any sense! We used to say that about little laneway bars and small industrial buildings in the CBD.

melbourne's picture

Pages