226 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

3000's picture

I think you're onto something.

Bilby's picture

The idea of a rippling 'skin' and the building as executed can be separated. 8 Spruce Street by Frank Gehry is a better example of this idea on a better building.
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01860/ny-skyscraper_1860173i...

Michael Berquez's picture

I don't think the designs are in any way the same. Also, sadly, the Gehry tower in real life was VERY disappointing to say the least. It photographed well when it was new, it looks terrible now.

Bilby's picture

Really? I've seen it several times in person - it seemed fine then. What has happened to it? And no, the designs are not the same - one is sadly mediocre, and one is the work of one of history's great architectural minds!

melbourne's picture

CBD | Abode 318 | 318 Russell St | 188m | 57L | Residential

Bilby's picture

That podium looks terrible in context with the streetscape.

Mark Baljak's picture

hrrrrmmmm

Nicholas Harrison's picture

WTF? 80% of that frontage was supposed to be glazed on the ground floor and the mezzanine level.

Somebody really dropped the ball on this one.

Fedsquared's picture

Effing Hell. Looks like it's all been boarded up.

Adrian's picture

I drove past it the other day and I actually like the wood surface finish they have gone with, looks better in real life.

That said it's pretty disappointing how little street front activation there is in the way of retail or even just visibility into the foyer to enhance the 'passive surveillance'. Haven't been around the back yet but I wouldn't be holding much hope for Hayward Ln either.

Remember this tower is really just at the upper height end of the cheap pre-fab mid-rise stuff developers like CE have been getting away with for years. Did we really expect anything better ?

This is yet another argument for stricter planning & design controls on the 100-200m mid-rises, not the high-rises which generally by nature have to be of high quality, yet are continuously the ones targeted by the CoM, The Age and other factions to be cut down to size (Savoy Tower anyone ?) or cut out entirely.

Bilby's picture

Timber finish on a street level frontage? I thought it was a sandstone tile they had chosen. Still, whether timber or porous sandstone, whichever surface the architect has chosen, I'm sure any tagging will just wash right off, right? It makes you wonder whether EF actually understand anything about life lived at street level in Melbourne at all ...

Hank's picture

Unfortunately you're correct Bilby. It's a sorry state of the world when things have to be designed so that tagging can be washed off.

Mark Baljak's picture

Sandstone it is

melbourne's picture

3000's picture

Walked past this thing a few weeks ago and I just don't understand the podium, it hangs so low ands clogs up the flow of the street. This is one of the worst outcomes on the boom so far.

Garmatt's picture

EF are close to ruining this city.

3000's picture

They have done some good work in the past but the biggest problems with this are it's height (it's design doesn't suit the tall, skinny form) and the podium.

Hank's picture

Only in your mind. Other people think differently!

3000's picture

Good for them. I think CE have more to answer for tbh. Docklands had effectively been turned into a joke.

Bilby's picture

EF and CE - bird of a feather and all. EF designed this shocker of a building - and EF will have to live with the diminished reputation resulting from it (and others).

3000's picture

I agree it's terrible building but at least EF has some good looking towers to their name whereas CE....well, you get what I mean.
Obviously both are guilty of some shockers.

Adrian's picture

I think EF have done about as good a job as they could given the confines of having to design a tall pre-fab tower. The outcome could have been a *lot* worse for a building of this height.

Blame the developers not EF for the cheap pre-fab construction requirement.

3000's picture

Goes without saying that we have a lot of lazy developers around at the moment.

Bilby's picture

EF made the choice to work within these development parameters - it's entirely their responsibility what work they elect to undertake.

32 Blocks's picture

Discover Melbourne’s Past, Present and Future at 32blocks.org

Pages