226 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Bilby's picture

I guess I just have high standards. I don't understand why we can't have better and more innovative designs in Melbourne. As to the comment about x or y materials, colours, styles, etc. - that's part of the problem here. Architects and developers seem to think that the cladding or wavy concrete precast bits are what makes a building exciting, but design needs to have much more integrity than that. The examples I gave point towards what I'm advocating for, however - Bofill's Walden 7 is one of the most exciting apartment buildings I've ever come across - the articulation of the cast concrete forms, the offset modular design, the fenestration and balcony details, the amazing entrances and voids in the building, the variety of apartment floorplans and sizes, the shallow floor plans with interior and exterior views - it all adds up to a well conceived, throughly developed architectural language. Abode is just cookie cutter rack 'em and stack 'em architecture by comparison. http://www.archdaily.com/332142/ad-classics-walden-7-ricardo-bofill/

Dean's picture

^^ I'm not trying to be a smart arse... but could it be just how you are??? You seem to look for the worst in everything. I can't recall you saying anything positive about any development on this site at least.

Bilby's picture

You can't recall me having said anything positive, Dean, but that doesn't mean I don't love contemporary building design. Why would I bother getting on this site at all unless I had a genuine love of Melbourne and its built form? I've said plenty of positive things about buildings and proposals on this site - it's just that the majority of CBD developments we are seeing at the moment are sub-standard. I'd love to think otherwise, but when I look around the world at what is going on in urban design, urban renewal and consolidation, I don't think Melbourne stands out as an innovator or a guide to best practice, that's all. Most of the new high-rise buildings in Melbourne are poorly designed and detailed. Plenty of architecture and planning people hold similar views - what would be the point in pretending otherwise just for the sake of being "positive" about the way Melbourne is changing? I think the Pattersons / Panama building by Neometro on Smith Street is pretty good - the mansard style addition on the roof of the existing building is well styled, uses reasonable materials and contains well designed apartments, while retaining the heritage building and its ongoing mixed commercial uses below. It failed to restore the existing building's parapet to anything like its original design (which was available in photographic evidence), but overall I would say it's a good example of what can be achieved on a modest budget. By the way - what did you think of Bofill's 'Walden 7'?

elev8's picture

The Walden 7 project is fantastic, Bilby. Certainly appreciate you posting it. As for Abode 318 and many other Australian based projects, there may be some constraints with project budget compared to other international locations that perhaps reduces the overall result in architectural merit and material selection. That being said, I certainly am a fan of Elenberg Fraser's work and appreciate that they propose and build solutions that are somewhat out of the box in this country at least. Considering what this project looked like as its Barton Tower incarnation, I am rather pleased with the overall result and feel that it may become a photographer's favourite in the future. I'm also sure that in time the properties adjacent will be built taller to hide the rather plain sides.

Bilby's picture

I can't see those blank walls to the north and south being hidden by construction any time soon, ELEV8. One side is a fairly new build and unlikely to be demolished within its expected service life (at least 50-80 years). The other side are a pair of high quality heritage buildings with little scope for a tall enough tower unless they are both demolished - an even worse outcome. So the blank walls look set to be permanent visual 'landmarks' in their own right in this part of Melbourne for the next half century at a minimum. I stand by my comments - it's a poorly resolved high-rise residential building.

elev8's picture

well that certainly is a shame. it would almost have seemed certain that the developer/EF had it in mind that the properties next door would eventually obscure this transgression (didn't realise a heritage buildings were next door so happy if that didn't eventuate). I can't recall if barton tower had a similar outcome with blank side walls and whether the EF scheme was simply replicating the barton floor plan with an altered exterior - perhaps to smoothly transition any Barton presales to the new developer's proposal. Abode seems like it might be out on its own there for a while.

melbourne's picture

CBD | Abode 318 | 318 Russell St | 188m | 57L | Residential

Mark Baljak's picture

the back of this one goes OK at the right time of day

Hank's picture

I think I like the back better than the front.

melbourne's picture

drunkill's picture

Abode helping to close the Swanston Gap. Aus108 will lessen the gap even further.

Bilby's picture

What do you mean by a 'gap' here, Andrew?

drunkill's picture

The height limits between Russel and Elizabeth streets, to preserve sunlight along Swanston Street.

Aus108 will close that gap when looking from the north because it is east of Elizabeth street but does not overshadow Swanston Street, being on the south side of the river. Similarly, Abode is right on Russel Street, unlike 101 or 120 Collins which are in the middle of their blocks.

melbourne's picture

Mark Baljak's picture

Mark Baljak's picture

hrrm

Bilby's picture

Boredom tower nearing completion!

3000's picture

How long until we see the ugly ass podium?

melbourne's picture

Eric's picture

Hank's picture

Very nice twilight shots Eric.

3000's picture

My god this thing just sticks out from every angle. The most annoying part is when you come out of MC it's there looming over the library.

Bilby's picture

Yes, 3000, this one is an absolute shocker of a building. I'd love to know who was the architect at EF responsible for this one! I bet they wouldn't put their name to it if asked, though.

3000's picture

I like the idea with the ripples but they picked a poor building to apply such a cool idea to.

Michael Berquez's picture

Picked a poor building to apply such a cool idea?????? The building didn't exist before it was built...lol

Pages