155 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

SYmlb's picture

I really don't mind the front of it, but that rear view is really one of the worst outcomes I've seen in Melbourne for a long time, worse than Shell House even I'd say. How were two huge blank walls approved on the corner of the CBD like that? Atrocious.

melbourne's picture

CBD | 560 Flinders Street | 29L | 90m | Residential

Garmatt's picture

I hope they're forced to renovate the Markilles Hotel as recompense for those two hideous concrete walls. Only fair, really.

3000's picture

The blank walls on this are a disgrace. Someone needs to paint over them of fix it asap

Melbourne Muse's picture

Which cretins in Melbourne's planning process continually approve these fucking 100m tall assaults on our urban environment!!? I'd really like to know so I can go bitch slap them in person!

Marvelous Mega-Melbourne

Garmatt's picture

Or alternatively question Ellenburg Fraser as to why they continually go for the quick buck and take no pride in their design effort. They have very little design principles or architectural credibility - something I would've thought would be a pretty high priority for any architectural firm that takes a long-term view of it's business (ie. think Bates Smart, who are now Australia's oldest practice).

Bilby's picture

It may not be their fault, some practices just lack intellectual spark and talent for great design solutions. Perhaps it's the best they can do, and developers equally lacking in vision are drawn to mediocrity.

melbourne's picture

Adam Ford's picture

Aaaaand THIS is why we want to keep setback rules.

melbourne's picture

Aussie Steve's picture

I know everyone keeps harping on setbacks and blank walls, but we have always had blank walls go up on property boundaries and as far as I am concerned, it is ok, so long as the walls are treated in an appropriate manner and that allows (and assumes) future development potential next door, right on the property boundary.

SYmlb's picture

Aussie Steve; can they redevelop the Markilles Hotel next door though? I couldn't tell if it is heritage protected or not and to what extent they can build up to the boundary now with the new planning rules.

Plus this is also two 100m blank walls, and also on a prominent city corner in the CBD. This tower really was not well thought out, and should not have been approved. It would not be approved today with the new rules.

Michael Berquez's picture

But you can still have a set back AND a blank wall at the same time, set backs don't rule out concrete walls....so new rules might've not made any difference to this kind of outcome.

3000's picture

This is just a bad outcome. End of story.
I think we need something in the way of design guidelines to prevent this shit from popping up. That, or the people designing this trash pull their heads out of their ass.

Absolutely.

SYmlb's picture

Michael; I guess the rules just prevent over-development of sites then. The argument that they have blank walls in the first place because next door will just build up to the boundary and block it out can no longer apply. The architects and developers are now forced to think about how it will appear from all angles and not just assume next door will cover it up.

It still won't stop CE, Brady etc from their wonderful designs though. That's a separate issue.

Bilby's picture

Markilles Hotel is indeed under a Heritage Overlay.

Adam Ford's picture

?? developers put in blank walls where there is no potential to put windows in because it's built to the site boundary.
Setbacks give us proper towers a la EQ. The old rules give us the sides of Abode, Vision, this, etc.

But that's the point......new rules over old rules is not going to change this...both EQ and Vision are both old rules...one has (virtually) blank wall, one doesn't.
"No potential to put in windows"?????? More like less epxensive without windows, less maintenance. I think blank walls are not just about boundary setting but also cost cutting...less galss etc

Adam Ford's picture

As you say the old rules produced both good and bad outcomes. But the good ones weren't sanctioned.
How many instances can we cite of blank walls being produced NOT at the site boundary?
I'm thinking of the Grocon Spring Street development but it's the only one that comes to mind.
Yeah, you could build a sheer concrete tower if it were setback enough, but I strongly get the impression developers would rather sell views from all sides where possible. So that's not a sanction for a decent tower under the new rules, but I'll die in a ditch if it doesn't make good towers significantly more likely such that the policy bears supporting, at least until we've got meaningful data on the outcomes.

Bilby's picture

There's a bit more to this. Remember the three 1860s heritage buildings that stood on the site not long ago? If this city at least had quality design tradeoffs for demolition of heritage, we might have seen a very high quality build here. As it is, the city has lost out both ways - our fine grain, gold rush era heritage demolished, and a shoddy half baked resi-tower to replace it.

melbourne's picture

CBD | 560 Flinders Street | 29L | 90m | Residential CBD | 560 Flinders Street | 29L | 90m | Residential CBD | 560 Flinders Street | 29L | 90m | Residential

melbourne's picture

3000's picture

Awful

3000's picture

The blank walls on this one are currently being painted from bare grey to a darker grey.

Pages