157 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Qantas743's picture

Full website up and running including video with some new but highly inaccurate renders:

http://380melbourne.com.au/en/

Adrian's picture

Good lord your pessimism and negativity knows no bounds ..

What is 'highly inaccurate' about the renders in the video ? Sure the height has been exaggerated in a couple of shots and it's cliched as all hell - but the renders of the building itself look to be spot on with the model and what's been proposed.

Seriously buy some happy pills won't you ...

Qantas743's picture

I'm referring to the location of the building relative to where it's been placed in the video in some shots.

It's a casual observation and quite frankly I don't care what you think about my supposed "pessimism".

Adrian's picture

Well you could then word it something like 'Some very good renders but inaccurately located'

Instead you make it sound completely misleading as if the building portrayed in the video is nothing like what is being sold to investors - when in fact the renders of the building appear highly accurate (and impressive) right down to the curved glass.

Many people come on this forum for information & advice on new developments and your constantly negative comments are frustrating and annoying and as mentioned completely misleading in this case.

johnproctor's picture

watched video and I think Qantas words are correct.

for example at 45 seconds there is a render from the Carlton Gardens looking east over the CBD. 380 Lonsdale is shown at the far right of the shot including to the right of buildings on the north side of La Trobe Street (like 33 McKenzie and 68 Russell (rear of old Police Headquarters)) It also looms as if it is east of Swanston when it is in fact west of Elizabeth. The tower wouldn't be within shot but they've clearly dropped it in as a render from one of Melbourne's famous gardens to imply proximity and amenity.

shky's picture

Hey guys, I been an avid reader of Urban.com.au for more than 5 years now and I have to say keep up the great work!

I recently had an interest in 380 Lonsdale. In terms of a purchase, it is really important to me that when I buy an apartment, the views of the apartment will not be one day blocked by a future development. I realise that with Melbourne, this is a tough guarantee and properties are getting snatched up left and right to be developed into high rise and buildings are getting built a bit too close to each other. As such, I tend to do a lot of research before purchasing something. When discussing with Brady representatives, I was offered several options of 2-bedrooms. They are currently selling the North Tower. I was offered several apartments facing North east and East (facing Elizabeth St). As nice as these are, I raised the concern of the building(s) between 380 Lonsdale and Elizabeth St (i.e. the building housing Pepper Lunch, Old Town White Coffee, G2 Korean BBQ, Aussie Disposals all the way down to Mitchell House). I was told by Brady that there is currently a height restriction of 40 metres for buildings on Elizabeth Street, and as such, future developments on Elizabeth can only go up to about 14 levels. I was advised that to be secure, it is recommended that I take anything above Level 14 of 380 Lonsdale (North Tower) facing east, if I wish to have an east facing apartment. I don’t know much about current Melbourne CBD building policies. I thought that it wouldnt hurt to get a second opinion and what better place than Urban.com.au forums. So my main question is: Is there really a 40 metre restriction on Elizabeth St buildings? If yes, how likely/often do these restrictions change? Any comments are welcomed! Thanks!

theboynoodle's picture

I can't answer your specific questions, but can tell you that if a site looks developable, then it is. Restrictions are only in place as long as the planners of the day want them to be, so if you want a guarantee of a view that will never be built out, buy something that faces a park or water... or buy into a building that comes with the air-rights of it's neighbours.

Views are, almost always, a privilege and not a right. Think carefully how much you're willing to pay for them.. because you won't actually own them.

Peter Maltezos's picture

^^ Well said THEBOYNOODLE, I second it!

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

redden's picture

A long time without news, so pdoff's post on SSC is very welcome.

I spoke with a marketing agent this week, FWIW:

- 500 of the 600 apartments of the taller tower are sold
- the shorter tower has the hotel and a further 100 unsold apartments
- they are fully funded by their bank(s) to commence
- Demo starts in August
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1468781&page=9

melbourne's picture

Website has recently stated that construction is commencing soon, so makes sense. Good news.

melbourne's picture

Looks like demolition on the car park has commenced.

melbourne's picture
melbourne's picture
redden's picture

Good progress, when you think this is how we started. Thanks for all the updates, Ryan.

CBD | 380 Melbourne | 380 Lonsdale Street | 213m & 166m | 70L & 55L | Mixed Use
image url[/QUOTE]

Adrian's picture

It's Aurora car park demo all over again - just amazing how quickly they rip and strip once the diggers get going ..

As a local resident of Little Lonsdale St it's going to be so weird having a big gaping hole between it and Lonsdale for the next year or so !!

Also fun fact - the orange rear of this car park was featured in the Nicholas Cafe movie Ghost Rider in the background of a few scenes - at the time they setup film sets on the empty lots of what is now Melbourne Star & Melbourne Sky and used the surrounding streets ..

I'll have to dig up some Sony Ericsson phone pics of that when I have the chance .. Not that anyone is going to lament the loss of this famous movie set.

Mark Baljak's picture

Making a mess of this fairly quickly

melbourne's picture
redden's picture

CBD | 380 Melbourne | 380 Lonsdale Street | 213m & 166m | 70L & 55L | Mixed Use[/QUOTE]

redden's picture

I was watching the action today, when a site bloke said, "It'll all be down soon. We're getting another piece of equipment on Thursday, which will take care of the rest". I asked him if construction would start straight away, and he nodded and said, "Yeah, they really want to get going".

CBD | 380 Melbourne | 380 Lonsdale Street | 213m & 166m | 70L & 55L | Mixed Use[/QUOTE]

redden's picture

All gone now, with just the debris to dispose of. More than one bloke on site has said that Brady will start construction a.s.a.p.

redden's picture

Rapidly tidying up.

redden's picture

Clearing up has been completed. Now, it's site preparation, with work under way on shoring up both the east and west perimeters.

redden's picture

A "hold it above my head" shot of a piler. There was a Brady bloke on site, so I asked him about construction. He said the piler was going to start work on the SW corner of the site tomorrow, but we shouldn't expect structures like floor plates until June/July. Nevertheless, it's great to hear that it IS happening, from the horse's mouth.

redden's picture

The piler has already finished in the SW corner and has moved on to the eastern side. I think its status can be updated to "u.c.".

redden's picture

Pages