116 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Adam Ford's picture

^^you can thank our old friends at Central Equity for that one. It was early nineties, One of their first CBD projects, and really the one that virtually set the Postcode 3000 wave rolling.
But yes, cheap tilt slab rubbish. And strata titled, therefore there until eternity.

Bilby's picture

^3000 Just as one small example, the whole row of Victorian and Edwardian heritage buildings on Smith Street Fitzroy from Gertrude Street to Victoria Parade including shop fronts and interiors were completely unprotected until recently, and developers had just begun to buy in and apply for permits to demolish. The 1920s motor garage in this strip was lost, but the rest have been saved, including bluestone shops from the Gold Rush era. If no one had acted, this whole strip would have been subject to demolition within a relatively short timeframe.
CBD | 36-40 La Trobe Street | Trillium Apartments | 39L | 115m | ResidentialCBD | 36-40 La Trobe Street | Trillium Apartments | 39L | 115m | Residential

theboynoodle's picture

Well given the variety of turds that have been constructed further up Smith Street, I, for one, thank you greatly.

Mark Baljak's picture

CBD | 36-40 La Trobe Street | Trillium Apartments | 39L | 115m | Residential

Bilby's picture

That ground level frontage actually needs to be ripped out and replaced with something else. Ditto the awning and laneway frontage. I could actually design something better than those shop fronts in my lunch break - and that's saying something, because I don't have much of a lunch break most days.

Michael Berquez's picture

Have to agree with you there Bilby...it's just foul. And those Aircon units on the balconies...gross

3000's picture

I watched this go up from my old apartment and it's tuned out every bit as foul as expected.
That street level frontage is easily one of the worst I've seen in a while.
I was looking at some of the apartments that are currently up for lease online and they are really not good. Narrow, cheap and just investor/rich student stock.
Is this seriously the best we can do?

SYmlb's picture

Hey now, what's wrong with a mains fire hydrant for street activation on a historic laneway?

But in all seriousness I agree, not a big fan of the blank wall and overall a very poor outcome in general. Not sure what could be done to rectify that mess but taking down that awning would be a good start.

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

According to the actual decision to approve it, Robert Doyle stated something along the lines of 'this is the best outcome we can possibly hope for, if we take it VCAT we might get a worse outcome'

3000's picture

Code for "we are at the whim of developers and architects who don't give a shit".
Looks like a nice architecture degree means you can build trash like this and call it a day.

Bilby's picture

On the day this was approved, this entire section of streetscape was up for heritage listing, with a council report recommending in favour of a heritage overlay. However, when the order of agenda was set, it mysteriously put the proposal to create a Heritage Overlay AFTER the consideration of the development proposal. Hence, the proposal was approved first, then the heritage issues were examined. When it came time to consider the recommended Heritage Overlay, councilors simply argued that a development had already been approved for the site in question, so it would no longer make sense to heritage list an intact streetscape that was already subject to a demolition permit ... if anyone wanted a lesson in how to ruin a section of the city in 5 minutes, it's all there in the council minutes for this one.

pdoff's picture

Really? They would be exposing themselves to ridicule. Clay Lucas will have a field day with that.

Bilby's picture
zenith's picture

Internet warriors aren't heroes. Run for council or stop complaining.

Bilby's picture

Not sure what your point is, Zenith.

I stated the facts about the Future Melbourne Committee decision making process, PDOFF asked if I was for real, and then I posted the minutes, which support my claim.

Can't handle the truth, perhaps?

Pages