98 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

pdoff's picture

I wouldn't want to speak for 3000, but your comment was more design focused, rather than pure height. The design change is the real sad outcome for this site.

3000's picture

@Riddlz Sure, why not?
I think that no matter what height this is, it's nothing special. There is a time and place where height matters. In this instance, even if it was the height you wished it would be a disappointing outcome.
No matter what height, this looks like a bad office tower from the 80's hat trump would build.

3000's picture

It's obvious that Qantas appreciates tall buildings, that's fine. But I feel that he sometimes is a bit zealous in in the sense that if a building gets a height chop it's a dark day for Melbourne. We all want an attractive skyline, but I would prefer better outcomes as a whole. Height, street level, design etc.
would this be a better outcome at full height? Does the height chop affect the outcome as a whole?
Personally, I think think so.

Qantas743's picture

My issue is not about height as much as maximising the use of a site, particularly as this sought of development is now effectively impossible to achieve.

Michael Berquez's picture

All things aside, I think the design is pretty good

Danny Boy's picture

CBD | 303 La Trobe Street | 43L | ~150m | Residential

Adrian's picture

I'm kinda divided on this I actually like the space they're creating at ground level it just shouldn't sacrifice another old Melbourne pub in the process .. and erode more of the warehouse precinct around it

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

out of curiosity what do you see in that ground floor space that's positive?

Adrian's picture

Creating any kind of open space in a crowded CBD is a good thing I thought we all agreed on that so I like that aspect of this design however as I said not at the expense of the Duke and Guildford Lane precinct which is inherently a closed in area hence its character.

But in another location and with some retail not just lobby this would be a good outcome - not as good as the original design though.

Michael Berquez's picture

True, I think we've all already agreed how heartbreaking it is to lose the Duke and all, but it's done and dusted, nothing we can do, so as for this new building I think it looks classy and great at street level.

Peter Maltezos's picture

Hmmmm, the vertical fins which are closer together at the top of the tower give the building a top heavy look, a bit of mannerism at work here.

The building proposal looks OK, nothing more, nothing less.

Is it a better fit than the Duke Hotel? Well we can go on about that for a very long time.

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

Nicholas Harrison's picture

The planning officer report reccomended that this tower be approved at a height of 192.4m.

The planning minsiter decided to cut it down to 140.5 m because it just looked too tall.

That is why it now looks stumpy.

Qantas743's picture

Why didn't they take to VCAT? They'd have got 192m.

Probably just wanted to get on with it and didn't want to wait 9 months for a VCAT hearing.

melbourne's picture

This one is over 90% sold.

Qantas743's picture

Impressive!

melbourne's picture

Model:
CBD | 303 La Trobe Street | 43L | ~150m | ResidentialIMG_8654

Qantas743's picture

This will be a nice filler - if it ever starts!

Mark Baljak's picture

mmm prefer the original design, but this site isn't exactly conducive to a development of this size regardless

Mark Baljak's picture

Icon tendering for build

Mark Baljak's picture

The arse dropped out of this one

Taking the cash now: Singapore's Figtree sells Melbourne resi project for $35m

truggling Singaporean developer Figtree Holdings has quit a Melbourne high-rise residential project despite selling 97 per cent of the 214 apartments off the plan.

Figtree said it had decided to accept a $35 million offer from "an independent third-party purchaser" for the 671-square-metre site running from 293 to 303 La Trobe Street and incorporating the former Duke of Kent Hotel.

Senior industry sources told The Australian Financial Review the buyer, which Figtree did not name, would undertake a student housing project on the site.

Figtree's decision to quit the project follows another Singaporean developer, Fragrance Group, selling its development site at 555 Collins Street – where it had sold 46 per cent of the 625 apartments on offer – for $140 million to Charter Hall, which will proceed with an office development.

The two early project exits will raise questions about the appetite of offshore apartment developers in the Melbourne CBD following a pullback in lending from the major banks and an increase in offshore buyer stamp duty charges.

Hopefully the new owners will decide to keep the Duke of Kent hotel.

Pages