melbourne's picture

New HQ for Aus Unity:

[/url]IMG_9487

[/url]

[/url]

redden's picture

Thanks Ryan.

Grampians's picture

So, this one will age very badly (i know i am severly in the minority).
A form of "featurism" as Rbin Boyd would point out because it is still predominantly a glass rectilinear box with some arbitrary facade elements stuck on and an incongruous German Expressionist cinema entry way throw in for faux drama. Sorry

Peter Maltezos's picture

Say what you like Grampians, as one who appreciates architecture of all styles and has a fine arts background, I like it!

Two thumbs up from me. yessmileyyes

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

3000's picture

I'll reserve judgment when this is above ground. I do like the renders, though.

Melbourne Muse's picture

Arbitrary? It's spectacular! Veritably exploding forth from Melbourne's red-brick history.

Marvelous Mega-Melbourne

redden's picture

CBD | 271 Spring Street | 16L | Commercial

CBD | 271 Spring Street | 16L | Commercial[/QUOTE]

redden's picture

The core has shot up.

Adam Ford's picture

"Veritably exploding forth from Melbourne's red-brick history."

For the love of god, just STOP would you? If you seriously think history is a place things are supposed to EXPLODE from, then just leave it alone. Please.

Adam Ford's picture

Grampians is correct, what we're talking about are "featuristic" elements that do direct violence to the style of heritage. This would be BETTER heritage-wise as just a glass box. You've deliberately added a new language that has no structural logic in the new building and aggressively contrasts the old. This is the literal opposite of how heritage should be done.

Adam Ford's picture

Simply rotate the triangle in the entryway about 45 degrees counter clockwise to produce a proper pediment that references the right hand building and you've already improved this design 3000%. For example.

Still can't edit comments.

3000's picture

"This would be BETTER heritage-wise as just a glass box"

What are you smoking?

Primal Beauty's picture

Ahh...the battle between puritanical forces and some wierd ritualistic sectarianism (45 degrees counter clockwise pediment); loved the 3000% pun though !
And by the way I love the building as it is; wonderful, slightly whimsical and still respectful of its history and juxtaposition in regards to the old!

Adam Ford's picture

I am smoking certified heritage ganja from 1872.

It would be better as a glass box because that would jar less with the existing style. QE flipping D.

What I love is that people continually apply nothing more rigorous than the "I like it" test to a restoration practice that has an entire established discipline behind it. And that seemingly includes The Collector who could write a better essay on the finer points of most architectural styles up to WWII than I could, but whom I've noted a few times giving thumbs up to things that are default thumbs down for me at test #1.

Well I challenge the Collector to write the essay. I'd like to hear to your usual standards of architectural appreciation, and recognising the historical context here (and that the retained structures are exemplars of prior historical architectural styles), to write the essay in the standard architectural language as to why this is good architecture.

Adam Ford's picture

WHAT, for instance, about the context here suggested rather than a pediment, a 45 degree angulated multiple triangular structure. Why MESS next to clean lines, but made of the same fabric? It seems to be saying "yes I acknowledge this old building but I really HATE it, I really WISH I'd been given a blank canvas here , god heritage is a pain ..."

3000's picture

" It seems to be saying "yes I acknowledge this old building but I really HATE it, I really WISH I'd been given a blank canvas here , god heritage is a pain ..."

Now here is something I agree with.
Although never explicitly stated by developers and architects alike, there does seem to be an unspoken consensus that heritage is indeed a pain to work around or that a blank canvas is indeed preferable; this is shown in the flippant way that many outcomes will more or less 'devour' the existing heritage structure or, even worse, facade it.

I think that with the rise of the overseas developer and the Contemporary-at-all-costs style that architects are currently doing, we have lost the sense of importance that links to the past have.

Primal Beauty's picture

Now I seem to have united you; the best of bum chums again...good!

Primal Beauty's picture

Look...I am not an expert in architecture or history of architecture at all, and do understand your points of view, guys...as a naive observer and a enthusiastic admirer of architecture, aethetics, design and arts in general I can only go by the form that is presented here by the architects and just judge it purely from personal aesthetics...I do think occasionally of its historical context and its position within urban skyline and urban contribution overall but I allow myself to enjoy the design in its finished form without going deeply about the whole contexts from inception to realisation including the historical elements!
I consider myself rather liberal in my views and not constrained by the history and believe in combining those two together where possible and necessary!
Do not expect me to employ any architectural language or rigorous examination in any case!
I just think if those copper elements are of right quality and material and the tapering of the building then rising straight up is done all well, the design and the building will come fine if not excellent!
I could compare it to Zaha Hadid's Port Authority building in Antwerp, of course not to the same point,and the portal to the main building to the slightly whimsical play of new river access within the Hammer Hall recent redevelopment!
Do not shoot me down now...I like your contribution to the site...but do not agree with your often harsh criticisms of many of the arcitectural solutions; at the end they are the architects designing those and dealing with limitations and client expectations!

Primal Beauty's picture

Sorry for any grammatical errors and lost context; tried to edit it but it is still not working...was cooking dinner while texting...lol

melbourne's picture

redden's picture

I should have stepped back a bit for my shots, Ryan, like you. I did take one from La Trobe, when I spotted the core for the first time.

Rohan Storey's picture

The weird angular stuff of the leaning out lower floors is actually inspired by the pitched roofs of the hotel ! At least that’s what John Wardle said. Really though he just likes being angular and a bit thrusting, so being derived from roof shapes was just the nearest thing he could ‘refer’ to. It’s a Pomo thing, but taken to an extreme; post modernism in its original version would have seen the references more obvious and the heritage elements treated more kindly.

Lookingupatbuildings

redden's picture

melbourne's picture

redden's picture

Mark Baljak's picture

First glass is up on Lt Lonsdale

Pages