68 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

melbourne's picture

CBD | 131 Russell Street | QT Hotel | 12L | Hotel

Peter Maltezos's picture

^^ I keep thinking that I'm looking at a photo from 1975!

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

theboynoodle's picture

I still love it. I just can't work out what the point is with that business in the top corner.

3000's picture

I'm quite a fan of this one.

Adrian's picture

Good grief despite living in the city and frequenting this forum I've only come across this just now (and only because I was curious about another QT Hotel when visiting Canberra couple weeks ago).

I can't quite believe my eyes here. Seriously the Greater Union Cinema had far more character than this shocker of a 60's throwback ..

Gonna miss that cinema can't believe it's gone - actually reckon they could have kept that angled facade and done something unique with it.

This'll teach me for delving into the low-rise threads ..

Adam Ford's picture

Spot on, Adrian.

For all the debate about Total House and Hoyts, I've ALWAYS thought Greater Union was EASILY Melbourne's best brutalist building. It was certainly the building that celebrated concrete the most. But it went without a whimper.

And man, the INTERIOR was something seventies-gaudy special.

Oh well. For the record I quite like the new building too. And no idea whats with those recessed panels top right, I guess we'll just wait in hope.

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

It looks like panels of paint mimicking an interesting mid-century design. though I'd far rather we had the actual Greater Union than a mid-century/brutalist pastiche.

melbourne's picture

Aussie Steve's picture

Oh Dear!
Not much to see here.
Moving on.......

Bilby's picture

I quite like it - quite a strong formal composition, and the long vertical "cut" window is a great touch, too (notwithstanding the demolition of one of only a handful of Melbourne's only remaining brutalist style buildings).

3000's picture

this one is weird one, it's almost a total recreation of something from say, the 60's or 70's without any sort of garish decorations that buildings going for the "Retro" look tend to adorn themselves with to tie to the era.

MelbourneGuy's picture

This should please the anti height brigade here. It doesn't matter how boring and unattractive it looks, it nevertheless has 'human scale' and all the other platitudes that go with this development.

Garmatt's picture

WTF is going on in the top right corner, though?!? I don't get it.

theboynoodle's picture

This should please the anti height brigade here. It doesn't matter how boring and unattractive it looks, it nevertheless has 'human scale' and all the other platitudes that go with this development.

I'm not sure that buildings can really be boring and unattractive.. those two are more of an either/or type deal. Boring buildings are fine.. not every one can be an architectural adventure (and the city would look awful if all of them tried). We build a lot of unattractive buildings.. buildings which draw the eye because the are unattractive.. which detract from everything around them, If a building is merely 'boring' then I'm ok with it because it has done no harm.

I like this one.. I think it's simple and elegant. I can see why others might think it boring, but not unattractive.. but that's opinions for ya!

Bilby's picture

My comments certainly have little to do with height. I just think this has some interesting design qualities compared with other buildings going up in the CBD right now. It's not great, but there is a certain elemental quality that is lacking in many of the curtain wall buildings we see being constructed around town.

Rohan Storey's picture

Certainly an odd one, very unusual for Melbourne. Definitely channelling the softer end of 1970s 'brutalism', with relatively thin elements, and very smooth finishes. Very Sydney actually, where modernist grids and concrete is more popular - not so surprising since the architect Candalepas is from there. He worked with the nationall gallery's Colin Madigan and Graham Jahn in the 90s. Hes done a lot of apartments in Sydney, though always with some variation, in both facades and materials. This one stands out for having virtually no variety, except the stepped motif in the top right corner.

I must say I find it neither refined enough (especially the side elevations) nor robust enough to be of much interest ; except for its lack of interest, and looking like it could be a university building from c1978 (except it would have used light brown brick).

Lookingupatbuildings

melbourne's picture

Pages