CBD | 131 Russell Street | QT Hotel | 12L | Hotel

melbourne's picture

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

1965 wants it's office block construction back

3000's picture

I actually don't hate this one. By no means is it an architectural marvel but in a sea of glass and grey, blank walls this one is almost retro in appearance (most likely not intended).

TIM ROWE's picture

Funny thing is i was in the QT hotel in Sydney recently and the rooms there are without a doubt the most lavish and over the top in Australia, well maybe not as much as the Infinity suite in Crown Perth, which is larger and even more lavish than any hotel room that has been shown in a Hollywood movie to date, but that room is pretty much the size of an entire gaming floor...ridonculous!!

I'm baffled they would build such a plain and well, ugly, exterior for a hotel that is sure to be absolutely stunning inside

Adam Ford's picture

I want Greater Union back ...

theboynoodle's picture

1965 wants it's office block construction back

If this was a 1965 office block and someone wanted to knock it down and replace it with a something akin to 90% of what gets built these days then I'd be furious.

It's not a thing of any great beauty (which some 1965 concrete buildings actually are, in my most humble of opinions), that business in the corner is weird, and the big blank wall on the side does what big blank walls do. However, the front is simple and elegant. It does no harm and, if maintained, will never do harm.. because uncluttered buildings just never do. Adornments, details, architectural follies etc come in and out of style.. but squares with windows are a pretty solid bet... subject, as with anything, to their being looked after.

The problem in the 60's was that everything looked like this. And they knocked down some beauties to make way.. and, believe me, whatever crimes the 60's perpetrated on Melbourne pale into insignificance compared to what happened in towns and cities where i'm from in England. However, new buildings in that style today are fairly rare (albeit that brutalism is pretty trendy right now) and are built having learned the lessons of the past.

Not every building can be a fresh architectural marvel.. and if they all tried it would be a disaster. Nor should every building be built in the prevailing style of the day.. because when that happens they all go out of fashion at the same time. Variety is important, and so are buildings that are happy to sit back, be plain, and let others do the glamour stuff.

3000's picture

At the top right corner it looks like there may be some sort of adornment in the facade that might be appearing.

For the record TheBoyNoodle, I wasn't making a negative judgment call, just stating how odd it is to see a building like this go up that isn't all curtain wall'ness, and have a definite retro vibe

Is Brutalism trendy right now? I cant think of any examples off the top of my head in Australia

3000's picture

I LOVE brutalism, of course it has to be well but when it is done well it is a marvellous style.
Recently in Melbourne there hasn't been anything that would strictly follow a brutalist style, maybe some of the bunkers over in SB could be technically classed as brutalism due to their love of blank concrete.
Total House and 280 Flinders Lane are buildings I feel work so well with this style.

Adam Ford's picture

Err... they demolished easily one of this city's best actual brutalist buildings for this. So probably not so "trendy".

I reckon this is coming up just fine, mind, but a severe step back from what it replaced.

theboynoodle's picture

Re. trendy brutalism, I think this is a (good, in my opinion) example of how aspects of that era are coming around again.

Dean's picture

^^probably the worst building to rise in melbourne in recent memory.

Michael Berquez's picture

Gotta disagree with you Dean on this one, I'd take that /\/\ over almost anything built on southbank in the last 10 years (exceot Prima, FWP, Crown etc)

Dean's picture

That's ok. I hate it more than i hate it's shite cousin Guild apartments in Southbank. :-) Remember that horror show???

Mark Baljak's picture

How is cutting every possible cost out of a student accom building equating to good design? It along with QT are below average.

I certainly don't think any design boundaries have been pushed but for some reason I like it...and it's simplicity, and it sits well to the building next door. However, if it was 20 stories or more tall I'd probably feel differently.

That one actually looks great in the photo Thenoodleboy, unsure about it person, but yea I actually would take it over all the generic curtain glass towers in Southbank

Bilby's picture

Here's a real brutalist gem to get behind: http://architectureau.com/articles/heritage-council-throws-support-behin...

The (shocker of a) building above replaced a perfectly fine early 20th century red brick heritage warehouse. Thanks for nothing, whoever approved it.

theboynoodle's picture

How is cutting every possible cost out of a student accom building equating to good design? It along with QT are below average.

Cutting costs, in it's own right, absolutely IS good design. It is, by definition, making more efficient use of resources. By all means have a conversation about what costs were cut and what benefits would have come from not cutting them.. but spending money is not inherently virtuous.

That one actually looks great in the photo Thenoodleboy, unsure about it person,

To be fair, I've not been over to see it in real life yet. I'm well aware that with a building like that the overall setting, and the build quality, are vital.. and you don't get to see those in photos.

melbourne's picture

Pages