287 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Michael Berquez's picture

I love the Bouverie Street frontage the most out of this whole development.

I love the Bouverie Street frontage the most out of this whole development.

Bilby's picture

So do I, but the quality of design response for this project overall leaves a lot to be desired. Mind you, EF have a poor history with regard to working with heritage sites, with the sole exception of the Goods Shed in Docklands.

Laurence Dragomir's picture

The Bouverie Street frontage at street level is weak and the two-storey townhouses, services cupboards and spiral staircase contribute nothing to the street.

redden's picture

It look as though there's been a core jump, from this angle, and the site is just visible from Queensberry Street now.

CARLTON | Swanston Central | 168 Victoria Street | 72L | 237m | Residential

CARLTON | Swanston Central | 168 Victoria Street | 72L | 237m | Residential[/QUOTE]

Adrian's picture

That is a ridiculous inactive void...

Yes but there is also something to be said for valuable development space being left as just that in an overdeveloped world ..

It all hinges on what they do with the old brewery frontage if that does well with the street I think the void could enhance the grandeur of whatever is underneath it ..

Meanwhile goodness me that RMIT building and those silly discs really is taking a while to get fixed .. just bulldoze the building already.

Anyway I still have high hopes for this development .. it's looking grand already.

3000's picture

I go past it every day and have been wondering what on earth they are doing with it.

redden's picture

The Design Hub has had scaffolding up for yonks, but it's only recently that they've really got stuck into it, with lots of workers.

redden's picture

The podium seems to be only about 4 levels lower than the Design Hub now.

CARLTON | Swanston Central | 168 Victoria Street | 72L | 237m | Residential[/QUOTE]

redden's picture

Qantas743's picture

If anyone is interested, there is a super-impressive model of this (along with a few other towers) on display at the real estate office on the north west corner of Elizabeth and A'Beckett streets. It really gives a good indication of just how massive this thing will be. I think many people will have underestimated just how imposing this tower will be - I know I certainly have after looking at the model.

zenith's picture

Do you copy and paste all your comments from SSC to here?

Qantas743's picture

Is that a problem?

redden's picture

redden's picture

redden's picture

The main interest today were the screens, which now show the kink in the tower's facade.

Adrian's picture

That is a big looking bulk of screen around that tower - bigger even than Aurora or A108 - 237m of this should look very impressive indeed !!! Bulk is one thing Australian towers in general lack (especially compared to USA) and gives a tower so much more presence and apparent height (Melb Central being a classic example).

And I'll defend Q743 on this occasion - some of us do frequent both forums and when there is news to post (as he did with info on that model which I didn't know about) there are only so many ways you can reword it.

It's either that or just post on one forum and not the other - personally I like to read/post on both because of the different views & opinions you get - despite the large amount of crud that's posted on SSC (not to mention the politically biased ideology on here) that you have to ignore.

3000's picture

I do find SSC to be a bit of an echo chamber. But it's a skyscraper forum so I really can't complain, that's their thing.

melbourne's picture

CARLTON | Swanston Central | 168 Victoria Street | 72L | 237m | ResidentialIMG_8362 by Ryan Seychell, on Flickr

redden's picture

Big moment for SC, as db2, on SSC, captures first pics of the two-toned glass.

We have glass, and it looks awesome!

Most shiny indeed :) A beast rising.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=143089465

melbourne's picture
Adrian's picture

My God the bulk of this thing !!! Melbourne Central's heir apparent without a doubt in the chunky stakes ...

Still cracks me up that this is in 'Carlton' .. Surely one of (if not the) biggest 'suburban' tower in Australia !?

The glass looks EXACTLY the same as the renders

redden's picture

Those gaps have been filled with more beautiful glass. I think A-brain's post on SSC captured the colour best.

Can’t get enough of this multicolor glass !!

A sheer wall of this is just gonna look supreme .. and as redden says the reality is definitely better than the renders or photos ..

One of mine shows Friday's glass progress on the eastern facade.

Adrian's picture

Hehe cheers mate .. And to think we have more shades of this lovely glass yet to come !!

Here is the glass sample shot that was also posted on SSC a while back ..

The additional shades should appear further up the tower once it's clear of these large podium levels ..

Pages