287 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

theboynoodle's picture

Count me as a fan. But I can understand why it divides opinion.

..ZERO relationship to anything

Sometimes that's a good thing. And striking modern buildings tend towards such a contrast.

In a way, it reminds me of the Nottingham Contemporary arts building in my former home city. The love/hate split, amongst both urban design nerds and the general public, was similar. I think it's beautiful, and a wonderful addition to a very important heritage part of the city (and it's a city with some serious heritage!). Other people think it looks like a pile of old shipping containers.

CARLTON | Swanston Central | 168 Victoria Street | 72L | 237m | Residential

Adrian's picture

I can't believe you're in love with this building Bilby.

It may be an architectural masterpiece on the inside but it offers NOTHING repeat ZERO to the street. For someone that labors on endlessly about street level activation and brick facades etc. but then again this is in-offensively low rise so that probably explains it.

It also completely ruins the frontal view of the William Barak building exterior portrait such that I doubt anyone even realises it's there when it could be one of our most famous buildings. It's an ordinary glass box that has played a big part in ruining this entire precinct.

The only good thing it has ever done is serve as a movie set for the brilliant film Predestination and that's about it.

I'm sure Michael Buxton loves it as much as Bilby does ..

Bilby's picture

It doesn't ruin the view of the Barak building - that was always designed to be viewed from the Shrine on that particular axis. Secondly, I've never advocated for "street activation" per se. What I'm interested in is a diverse, fine grain urban experience at street level. Sometimes that involves active frontages to the street, and sometimes a good urban response calls for leaving a "blank" English Bond brick wall alone, or even a "derelict" building or two in place. In this case, this building offers an enlivening formal presence to an otherwise relatively dull block of towers - and it responds incredibly well to the heritage malt house next door. It's a stunner. It's a pity then that the otherwise interesting Barak building doesn't offer the same architectural rigour.

Adrian's picture

You have got to be kidding me Bilby ... I mean really are you just trolling now ?

A quick google street view proves you are WRONG about the view not being affected from shrine axis ..

And you are seriously arguing that this building contributes something at street level when all you are faced with is a blank wall of glass circles all the way to ground level ?

It does absolutely nothing to help draw people into what could have been the Fed Sq of the north instead it presents a harsh blank wall on one of the most prominent corners in Melbourne.

This is what it should have been ...

Instead we have a building that destroys any potential this precinct had. Hopefully Grampian is right and it will be demolished in 20 years much like the reflective glass additIon to the exhibition centre that must have seemed like a nice modern idea at the time ..

Sorrry mate you've lost credibility with me on this one ..

Garmatt's picture

What a load of rubbish.
The exterior facade is 'interesting', but it's a street-level planning fail on all levels.

Bilby's picture

The image of the building above that "should have been" looks like the work of an immature first year design undergrad in comparison. Godsell's Design Hub is indeed special in Melbourne's architectural history - whether it lasts or not, well that's up to fate and economics. And lastly, the view of the building I was referring to is from the Shrine of Remembrance - not 100m up Swanston street.

3000's picture

it was built on what I agreee is a terrible location.

drunkill's picture

Best built? I don't know, bits are falling off of it. Best designed? sure, if you think so.

Peter Maltezos's picture

Calm down people!

Sean Godsell is a great architect (a prick at times) and the Design Hub is a great building, but on the wrong site!

Swanston Square (Barak building) should have been on the corner, so we could have a clear shot of the complete facade:

All settled now! yes

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

Adrian's picture

Fiiiiiinallllllyyyyy U/C !!!!

3 year construction cycle and the interior wall comes down next week ..

Adam Ford's picture

Bloody hell, this is turning into a steamy ol' love-in, eh?

OK, edit. It loaded up the previous page which I was responding too.
I too think it's one of the finest things erected in Melbourne in the past decade ... except ... you realise the scaffolding is there because ALL the glass discs have been falling out, and they're ALL going to need replacing at no doubt fabulous expense?

But for the people arguing RMIT's hogging of this corner and refusal to in any way integrate it with the rest of the site is the MAJOR issue with the entire project here. Abso-frigging lutely Amen.

Excellent design outcome, including at street level - I don't follow that citique at all, but in practical terms probably just a step too far with the experimental ... and it would have been the easiest thing in the world to NOT build two meter high concrete walls around the parts of the site that SHOULD integrate.

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

Adrian, surely there is more to 'adds to the street' than 'provides a number of transparent retail tenancies' which I assume you think would be better.
not arguing it's the greatest street intervention but the materiality and interesting design add more than a boring glass walled strip would

melbourne's picture

melbourne's picture

Close enough to Swanston Central. Scape Student Accomodation own this site:

557-591 Swanston Street Carlton VIC 3053
Construction of a multi level mixed use development comprising student accommodation and retail premises

Adrian's picture

Swanny Central is chugging along nicely now ...

The width of this tower combined with height is gonna make a huge impact from the Eastern Freeway / Doncaster Hill view .. can't wait !!

Chris Seals's picture

wow, moving along, huge difference in just a couple of weeks.

melbourne's picture

melbourne's picture

Michael Berquez's picture

so that is the beginnings of a core right??????

redden's picture

and the beginning of a crane.

CARLTON | Swanston Central | 168 Victoria Street | 72L | 237m | Residentialimages hosting

db2's picture

Back in the day the brown building with the PDG sign (from memory it was the old Ansett building) was the tallest in the north CBD. Now just a pipsqueak.

redden's picture
Adrian's picture

The pace at which they've completed the piling and formed the life core slab is phenomenal. Should see the core by March I would say.

Multiplex not mucking around with this one.

melbourne's picture

Mark Baljak's picture

Pages