414 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

redden's picture

Thanks George D. I've recently started using www.imgur.com to host my pics and they make it easy to size your uploads. I choose "21" monitor from the drop down box before I upload. It's a good fit for the SSC page, but doesn't affect Urban, of course, with its standard size.

Adam Ford's picture

^^ That urbannest thing at 599 Swanston is a godawful travesty, and they may as well have just demolished the "heritage" building.

3000's picture

It's a bit overpowering but better than half the crap built down that way

George D's picture

I ride past 599 quite regularly and get to take it in in all its glory. I think it looks pretty damn good in the afternoon sun.

redden's picture

The former Mazda site is massive. Be very interesting to see what happens with it, when the Metro Tunnel contractors are finished with it.

CARLTON + PARKVILLE | 3053 + 3052 | Projects

Atira's twins.

684 Elizabeth.

Journal Living

CARLTON + PARKVILLE | 3053 + 3052 | Projects[/QUOTE]

redden's picture

Two new student towers have started recently. Icon have the build for 500 Swanston Street, which is opposite the CUB site. Metier3 are the architects, with this one dubbed Journal Living Central. Journal Living's recently completed tower in Leicester Street is called Journal Living Uni Place.

Watpac are building a 14L Unilodge tower at 123-135 Bouverie Street, which is just across from the Lincoln Square park on Swanston Street.

Urbanest's student tower at 599 Swanston looks close to complete.

Atira's twin towers must be getting close too.

redden's picture

The Melbourne Connect site is huge.

It looks like work has started on Little Hall, at Swanston Street and Lincoln Square South. Mark posted this article from The Australian in May,'18. Some existing facades will be retained.

Rich List developer Paul Little and his wife Jane Hansen will donate $30 million for a new University of Melbourne scholarship program to house and support financially disadvantaged students over the life of their undergraduate degrees.
The university will also stump up $70 million to develop Little Hall, a student residence with capacity for 669 students, of whom up to 60 will receive the Hansen Scholarship – worth about $24,000 per student per year at current costs – to cover their accommodation and support living expenses.
Little Projects will provide project management services – which Mr Little said it won after a competitive tender – for a construction project the university will oversee and on which it will appoint a builder.
The Hayball-designed project will build 669 student bedrooms in sections rising three, 10 and 14 levels around a central courtyard on a 2586 square metre parcel of land at the corner of Swanston Street and Lincoln Square South in the inner-northern suburb of Carlton.
The facades of the university-owned but underutilised buildings currently on the site – Lincoln House and the former International Tobacco Co. factory – will be retained. A learning hub in the building will locate university teaching facilities into the students' accommodation space.
http://www.afr.com/real-estate/paul-little-jane-hansen-to-build-melbourn...

Peter Maltezos's picture

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/cowboy-developers-who-razed-...

Cowboy developers who razed historic Corkman pub fined $1.325 million
February 20, 2019 — 4.23pm Clay Lucas

Developers who illegally knocked down Carlton’s historic Corkman Irish Pub in 2016 have been handed a record $1.325 million fine by the Melbourne Magistrates Court.

Magistrate Ross Maxted told developers Raman Shaqiri and Stefce Kutlesovski in sentencing them on Wednesday he needed to send a message “to the building and demolition industry, and the development community, that such recklessness and bravado and full disregard for proper process and compliance will be severely punished”.

The fine is understood to be the biggest ever handed out in Victoria for illegal building works of this type – although many historic Melbourne pubs have in recent years been knocked down with planning approval.

"The cost of penalties to be paid may in some quarters simply be viewed, by some recalcitrant developers, as the effective cost of redeveloping a site to its maximum potential," Mr Maxted said, and for this reason he had to issue the men a fine "significant enough to deter such thinking".

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

George D's picture

http://imgur.com/yVsYAJt

Carlton Connect is looking a lot more like a building site than just a week or two ago.

redden's picture

Great angle, George. I took this one a few days ago.

Peter Maltezos's picture

https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/massive-upgrade-of-state-netball-and-hock...

Massive Upgrade Of State Netball And Hockey Centre Begins
26 March 2019

The Andrews Labor Government’s massive upgrade of the State Netball and Hockey Centre in Parkville has begun.

Premier Daniel Andrews, Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events, Martin Pakula and Minister for Women Gabrielle Williams visited the Centre today to mark the start of construction on the new home for netball and hockey in Victoria.

The upgrade will replace the existing outdoor netball courts with six new indoor courts, a new indoor hockey facility, upgraded change facilities, a creche for parents playing at the centre, and a high-performance strength and conditioning gym. It will also build a new northern entrance, better connecting the centre to public transport.

The new state-of-the-art facility will cater for all levels of competition – providing playing fields for grassroots teams and a major training base for elite athletes in both sports – and be a world-class venue to host major state, national and international tournaments like the Hockey Pro-League.

The Labor Government has appointed contractor Kane Constructions to deliver the project, with close to 30 jobs to be created during construction. The project is scheduled to be complete in 2021.

The Centre is used by more than 6,000 people every week – 80 per cent of whom are girls and women.

The project is part of the $241.6 million package unveiled by the Labor Government last year – the biggest investment in women’s and community sport in Victoria’s history. On top of the State Netball and Hockey Centre upgrade, the package includes:

• $20 million to redevelop Ikon Park into the home of women’s football

• $13 million for Stage 2 of the Moorabbin Oval redevelopment, to build a range of community facilities and deliver upgrades that will enable the Saints AFLW team to play there from 2020

• $10 million to improve playing conditions at Casey Fields and Whitten Oval for AFLW competition

• $2 million for infrastructure upgrades for AFLW at Victoria Park.

During the election, Labor also announced a $31 million netball package. It includes $28 million for local netball projects and $2.8 million for Netball Victoria to employ game development officers at netball hubs across Victoria.

I collect, therefore I am. thecollectormm.com.au

redden's picture

Scape has begun work on its CUB site.

Journal Living Central, 500 Swanston.

redden's picture

Sorry, forgot that we had a thread for Scape CUB.

Pages