Science House in The Rocks listed

Science House in The Rocks listed
Science House in The Rocks listed

The New South Wales Government are selling the heritage-listed Science House in The Rocks.

They are selling it on a 99 year lease hold.

The historic seven storey property at 157-161 Gloucester Street was designed by Peddle Thorp and Walker and built by master builders John Grant and Sons.

It is a rare example in NSW of the Interwar Commercial Palazzo architectural style.

There are three classic bands over six storeys, a sandstone ashlar coursed base at street level and a top level marked by a strong cornice and ornamented frieze to both street facades.

Science House in The Rocks listed

 

The building was built in the early 1930s, opened in 1931 and awarded the Sir Sulman Medal for architectural design in 1932.

It was used by three cultural institutions up until 1976 as a centre of learning and inquiry.

The building is now 95 percent leased to a number of tenants including the New York University which occupies most of the building for its only Australian campus.

There is 2,075 sqm of office space which fully leased would generate over $911,000 per annum.

Its current 95 percent lease generates around $840,000.

CBRE selling agents Kenny Duncanson and Harry George have the listing.

 

 

Joel Robinson

Joel Robinson

Joel Robinson is a property journalist based in Sydney. Joel has been writing about the residential real estate market for the last five years, specializing in market trends and the economics and finance behind buying and selling real estate.

Tags: 
Nsw Government The Rocks

Comments

Be the first one to comment on this article
What would you like to say about this project?