1880s Teneriffe coach house under contract

1880s Teneriffe coach house under contract
1880s Teneriffe coach house under contract

An historic coach house built in the 1880s in Brisbane is now under contract having been auction earlier this month.

The dilapidated Teneriffe house at 17 Teneriffe Drive was the coach couse of Teneriffe House.

Of recent times Arthur Henricks and May Hickling who married in 1915 had ten children, with Merle residing up until this year. 

In 1854, James Gibbon, former MLA and property speculator, known locally as 'Street Corner Jimmy' because he bought corner blocks, bought a parcel of land between Newstead and New Farm and named it Teneriffe, after Teneriffe Peak in the Canary Islands.

Gibbon was living at Kingsholme in New Farm before commissioning the construction of Teneriffe House in 1865, on what became known as Teneriffe Hill.

The magnificent house cost 1715 pounds to build, and was constructed of rendered brick on a stone foundation.

The house changed hands several times in its history and was converted to flats in the late 1960s.

Jonathan Chancellor

Jonathan Chancellor

Jonathan Chancellor is one of Australia's most respected property journalists, having been at the top of the game since the early 1980s. Jonathan co-founded the property industry website Property Observer and has written for national and international publications.

Tags: 
Auctions Teneriffe

Community Discussion

Be the first one to comment on this article
What would you like to say about this project?