Kirribilli, Adelaide Dutch colonial offering

Kirribilli, Adelaide Dutch colonial offering
Kirribilli, Adelaide Dutch colonial offering

A Dutch Colonial style home in Adelaide has been listed for sale.

Number 7 The Common at Beaumont has been listed with $2.7 million hopes through Phil Harris and Megan Mallick at Harris Real Estate 

George Gavin Lawson, an architect from Edinburgh who migrated to Australia in early 1900’s, built the property in 1930.

Lawson was appointed senior draughtsman in the South Australian architect-in-chief's office in 1920. 

He designed the dental school (1922) at the University of Adelaide, the (Sir John) Bice building (1923) at the (Royal) Adelaide Hospital and the Hartley building (1924) at the Teachers' Training College on Kintore Avenue. 

In 1925 he entered into partnership with Charles W. Rutt and designed the offices of the Burnside City Council.

In 1928 designed the Edments building in Rundle Street and the Lister building on North Terrace in commercial gothic style.

The Australian Dictionary of Biography noted that as a result of his work, he received other commissions for homes in the south-eastern foothills, some of which were built in his favourite Dutch colonial style. 

Kirribilli, a heritage-listed property, sits on 3000sqm block.

It features ivy-covered twin gables, Marseilles tiled roof, overhanging eaves and rendered masonry.

The five bedroom property has been in the hands of Alfred Scammell's family since built.

It overlooks the Common reserve with 366 sqm internal space.

The median house price in Beaumont is $850,000, according to CoreLogic RP Data.

Tags: 
Colonial Listing

Comments

Be the first one to comment on this article
What would you like to say about this project?