NT residential tenancy laws

NT residential tenancy laws
NT residential tenancy laws

The Tenancy Unit within Consumer Affairs provides services to tenants and landlords/agent of residential properties in the Northern Territory.

The legislative responsibilities of tenants and landlords are outlined in the Residential Tenancies Act.

The landlord/tenant relationship is usually harmonious but difficulties do arise, and sometimes landlords and tenants have different ideas of their respective rights and responsibilities.

Tenancy - Water Charges

Landlords are allowed to pass on the full cost of water consumption provided:

•          the rental premises are individually metered, and

•          the tenancy agreement states the tenant must pay for water consumption.

However, a landlord cannot ask a tenant to pay for charges, levies, rates or taxes, other than a charge payable by the owner or occupier of the premises for electricity, gas or water supplied to the premises.


From 1 June 2015, applications in relation to the Residential Tenancies Act  are heard by the Northern Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NTCAT).  Applications are required to be lodged on a NTCAT form.

This form, as well as advice on NTCAT procedures and processes, can be found on the NTCAT website: www.ntcat.nt.gov.au

Rental market


Be the first one to comment on this article
What would you like to say about this project?